Marina Breeder Box Question

I hooked up a Medium Marina Breeder Box, but do you put substrate on the bottom?

or some moss in it with a little substrate in the bottom?

I also put a mesh over the overflow, so no fry can get through.

They would hold a few, I got mine free in a trade for plants. Its actually bigger than I thought it would be. I'm going to use it in my pinto project

-Chris

Yea I figured I would try it and see what happens. Going to get a female after she has her babies. That way I know it "should" happen.

-Chris

I Put a xmas moss square, a little bit of moon sand on the bottom. It looks good, water is flowing good.

I put a fry proof stainless steel moss between the flow into the tank, so they won't get through, and I have

one low grade CBS just hanging out in there to see how it all works.

• 1 month later...

I keep my breeder boxes (L) bare. I have either moss growing on a small piece of DW or SS mesh but I like to keep it bare so I can clean the box weekly of poop and other wastes. As long as there's good flow, and the water is coming from a stable tank, you'll be fine.

I kept and bred both my Taiwan Bee and niskihi PRL inside breeder boxes. Currently, my Nikishi are living inside one and they're breeding happily.

I find that moss such as fissidens a good choice because the growth offers many "folds" for newborns to hide in between.