Why do I want so many Shrimp

Caridina Profundicola

Beautiful shrimp, but I am sure another one of those rare Sulawesi shrimp I could never afford... Soooo some of you guy are going to need to buy a bunch and make them less rare in the states so I can afford a colony of them.

So far my list is up to

- Super Tigers

post-152-0-48131000-1401481555_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-89976900-1401481560_thumb.jpg

- Malwa

post-152-0-19213000-1401481575_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-09107700-1401481582_thumb.jpg

- Harlequin Shrimp

post-152-0-76280500-1401481603.jpg

post-152-0-89077600-1401481608_thumb.jpg

- These Sun-Stripe Sulawesis <---  fights for my favorite (1st Picture)

post-152-0-58356900-1401472391.jpg

- Masapi

post-152-0-47217700-1401481568.jpg

post-152-0-38270900-1401481596.jpg

- Caerulea <- another favorite, maybe my most favorite (2nd Picture), Check out the Red antenna

post-152-0-78989900-1401472951.jpg

post-152-0-39263300-1401481668_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-10336600-1401481677_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-22326400-1401481687_thumb.jpg

I want all of these, someone should ship some of these my way. Soothing? Oblong? ;)

Chris

I been talking to a guy in Indonesia and he has almost all the Sulawesi breeding for him in his tanks. He's still working on Harlequins. I'm going to be importing a few kinds in the next few months. Just sent my import license in

I have Malawa for cheap if you'd like to try your hand at them.  I keep them at 80F and cherry params.  They breed prolifically- even more than my cherries.

I don't have the others.  Would you do me a favor and label your pics, so I can increase my education with your picture posts? :)

Harlequin don't breed well in tanks. Poor survival rate of babies. Even cardinals you'll only get 3-5 from a hatching. Sometimes less. A few claim to do it in SS 8.5 but haven't seen proof. I really want to try them and see what happens.

-Chris

I also love to have Sulawesi tank right now . However it is way much challenging than soft water shrimp tank. Unless, you can get the true captive breed shrimps.

So i decide to wait on them. After Sulawesi then Harlequins.

Harlequin don't breed well in tanks. Poor survival rate of babies. Even cardinals you'll only get 3-5 from a hatching. Sometimes less. A few claim to do it in SS 8.5 but haven't seen proof. I really want to try them and see what happens.

-Chris

Chris,

When you mix SS with RO water, do you wait for the next day to fill up the tank?

Chris,

When you mix SS with RO water, do you wait for the next day to fill up the tank?

I waited a few days, on initial fill I ran a co2 line in the pail for a week before I filled. If your cycling the tank like you should I've seen people mix it and put it in the tank. Can also heat up the water also and it mixes well

-Chris

I waited a few days, on initial fill I ran a co2 line in the pail for a week before I filled. If your cycling the tank like you should I've seen people mix it and put it in the tank. Can also heat up the water also and it mixes well

-Chris

Have you experience that when the salt first mix, there is a big PH swing!

Yea there will be, that's what it does. Mine brings it to 8.3

-Chris

That why i think it is better to pre mix a day in advance. I thought something wrong with my equipment! LOL

I been talking to a guy in Indonesia and he has almost all the Sulawesi breeding for him in his tanks. He's still working on Harlequins. I'm going to be importing a few kinds in the next few months. Just sent my import license in

-Chris

When you do end up doing an order do you think you can let me know? I would really like some of the blue tail ones. Looks like my 15 gallon is going to be a Sulawesi Shrimp Tank.

Chris

I have Malawa for cheap if you'd like to try your hand at them.  I keep them at 80F and cherry params.  They breed prolifically- even more than my cherries.

I don't have the others.  Would you do me a favor and label your pics, so I can increase my education with your picture posts? :)

You know I think I will take you up on the Malawa once my 15 gallon cycles, I like the idea of selective breeding on a newer pallet. I'll pm you for details.

I added pictures for each shrimp under its name to the first post.

Chris

Caerulea are also called Blue legged poso shrimp. They're one of my favs. (my photo is of one)

I found one person that sell them sometimes and he said they're all wild caught and difficult to keep.

I guess I'm going to need a bit morexperience before I give them a try. HOWEVER, they are fairly inexpensive.

Me to, I killed a few tanks! Treated them like fish and did water changes all the time lol. Now not so much, have to write on the tank now to remember the last one.

-Chris

Holy crap, 9 tanks. I would be so mad after the 3rd I would give up and not spend any more money on them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lol yea it happens, my stand fell in and lost 200$ in shrimp day after I got them....ordered more the next day haha.

-Chris

yepper.  I was dumb.  Years ago, I had no real information and I tried one tank and they died.  Then I figured that I researched enough (without a forum) that I knew what I was doing- so I set up 6 tanks at once...they all died. 

I've been known to be a little stubbern, so I was determined to figure it out.  2 more...died again- but this time, found out what I was doing wrong and the next thrived...eventually.  Found a forum, learned what I didn't know....and how much MORE I didn't know I didn't know. LOL

Now it's enjoyable and relaxing.  If I'd had found a forum to begin with, I would have saved myself money and aggravation by doing it right the first one or two times! :)

yepper. I was dumb. Years ago, I had no real information and I tried one tank and they died. Then I figured that I researched enough (without a forum) that I knew what I was doing- so I set up 6 tanks at once...they all died.

I've been known to be a little stubbern, so I was determined to figure it out. 2 more...died again- but this time, found out what I was doing wrong and the next thrived...eventually. Found a forum, learned what I didn't know....and how much MORE I didn't know I didn't know. LOL

Now it's enjoyable and relaxing. If I'd had found a forum to begin with, I would have saved myself money and aggravation by doing it right the first one or two times! :)

Did the same to! Mine was because I never cycled the tank properly and hard acclimated everything. Also did massive water,changes with tap all the time lol. Now as long as the tank is cycled shrimp do fine. Can't wait for my fish room to make my life easier. Want more time to sit and watch my livestock! It also is relaxing!

-Chris

I'm at 1 tank of 6 cherries Killed, but I don't have successful colony yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Entering the world of shrimping is misleading.  Seems that often some of the  "experienced" shrimpers forget the way they started.

I hear statements such as "Those are easy, you'll have no problem." or "Just throw them in there and they'll breed like roaches."  And while those who have been in shrimping for awhile may have already gone through the learning curve, there is still a scary sign for newbies (and sometimes not so new) that says, "Caution.  Curve ahead." :)