Measuring remineralized RO for water changes

Just curious how you guys do it. When you're preparing new water for water changes and you need to check if the parameters are correct, are you guys testing for GH, KH, and TDS? Or is simply testing TDS good enough?

and PH. Some dont do it all the time because they know what the water will be at. You will get many different answers on this subject. I check PH, GH and TDS since I use RO. Some people have tap water that is just right for neo's and dont need to check. If your lucky and live in a place with soft water then you wont need to check. Parts of Thailand has perfect water for fish and shrimp that require soft  waterso they dont need to check making Thai's some the best breeders in the world for fish.

Neo's require less water monitoring than caridina's.

Thanks guys. I've been using GH+/KH+ for the neo tank and Blue Diamond for the caridina tank. It's just that it's so much simpler to just dip the TDS pen in the water while I'm gradually getting the mix up to match the TDS of the tank.

We totally go by TDS with SL-Aqua Blue Wizard. For our high grade PRL we air for 100-110 TDS which is about 3GH, for our Taiwan Bees, we try for 140-150 which is about 4-5GH.

I use Blue Wizard also. Since it is a liquid it is super easy to add to your water mix and measure. Add a little more or dilute with a little water to hit your target TDS.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my wife got the new RO hooked up yesterday I can now look at water changing the tanks. Is there a standard product used for remineralization? Is there a recipe for home made compounds? I assume starting off I can just start removing water to get the GH down and once it is in range then add minerals? Will just shrimp mineral balls do the trick?

I want a tank that will work for sensitive shrimp (I assume Neos will be fine in that tank)

Is there a standard product used for remineralization?  Several powder and liquid remineralizers are available (many sold by sponsors of this forum)

Is there a recipe for home made compounds?  This is possible, I know someone on shrimpkeepersforum.com had a recipe for one at one time (can't find it right now, I believe it was JayC)

I assume starting off I can just start removing water to get the GH down and once it is in range then add minerals?  Adding straight RO could be tricky, I'm unsure of your target parameters, you may want to wait for remineralizer 

Will just shrimp mineral balls do the trick?  No

• 2 weeks later...

OK ordered SL-Aqua Blue Wizard it seems much more affordable than the Mosura mineral something something ultra.

I got an API GH/KH test kit from the LFS.

So now hopefully after that shows up I will be able to talk to a MN shrimp vendor and see what they have. I am almost to shrimp.