Timing from saddle to berried

shrymprdan

Does anyone know how long it takes a neo female to have the eggs move from the saddle to under the belly?

It seems like the chronology is saddle, molt, mate, berry.

I think this whole process has happened in less than 24 hours in my snowball tank.

Just curious to know the exact route the eggs take and how long it takes them to make the trip.

I thought they carried the saddle way longer than 24 hours, but the eggs then drop to the under carriage seemingly overnight ? Well one day you can't see the eggs the next day you do ..

I was very lucky to see a tiger pass the eggs thru to her under carriage in December.

It happened in around 2 minutes, she still had the saddle, I could see her under carriage was bigger, as if it was waiting for the eggs to pass thru, and she was arching her back the hole time, as they do just before a shed. 2 minutes later her under carriage were full of eggs and saddle gone. this has been the first time I have seen this happened in 3 years

Awesome! What a thing to see!

Purplepanda, you're right. I need to clarify that my shrimp seemed to go from saddle to berry overnight.

So how exactly do you think the eggs make the trip down to the underbelly? Seems like there would be a duct/tube connecting the saddle and undercarriage....

One more very amateur assumption: The female must temporarily hold onto sperm packets from the male immediately after mating. Maybe this signals the eggs to begin dropping. On their trip from the saddle to the abdomen, the eggs come into contact with said sperm packets. By the time the eggs are visible under the abdomen they are fertilized.

This sound about right?

Yes, as the eggs go to the under carriage is passes thru a sperm sack where they get fertilised and then drop to the under carriage as fertilised eggs.

I have heard of people claiming that, after a molt, even tho there was not a male that mated with a female that the lady was berried as they claim that females can hold sperm for a later stage. I still have to experience this for myself

• 9 months later...

I'm curious about this topic as well. How long are your females typically saddled before they are berried? Can they become berried immediately after saddled? If that's the case, but staying saddled for over a month is also the case, is it just a matter of when the female is in the mood, so to speak?

It depends on a lot of factors, if the shrimp are happy they are almost always saddled.

they can be saddled even if they carry eggs. If the lady is saddled and she molts, it's usually within 24 hours when she will carry the eggs. It happens quite quickly. You can also usually tell if she has molted and her underside looks kinda swollen, she should pass the eggs soon to her under carriage.

i have also noticed that the males have a better chance to fertilize the eggs right after the molt,,when she is still vunrable so to speak. If she gains strength it's harder for the males to get to her and grab her and breed

heres a quick cell pick I took now, this lady is full of eggs and saddled again, so when the babies will hatch it's a 99% chance she will be berried again. You can't really see the saddle on the pic tho as I had to zoom in quite a bit

image.jpg