RO UNIT RECOMMENDATIONS WANTED!

1 minute ago, OMG Aquatics said:

You'll never be able to reach their customer service if you order via website unless they changed their ways.

On Amazon, they are forced to reply or look at your message or their account health will decline.

Gotcha, well that sucks.. they do not have that one I want on there. :( Guess I start working on a "Plan-B" later tonight.  

Bulk Reef Supply seems to have a solid line of RO and RO/DI water filters. I have never bought anything from them, but they have an incredibly informative youtube channel when it comes to anything related to saltwater tanks. Reef aquariums in particular require practically pristine conditions on order to thrive, and the corals can cost hundreds just for tiny starter fragments, so I believe these people know what they are talking about when it comes to water quality. I am also looking into getting a RO/DI filter because I want to get my first bee shrimp, though I'm still trying to decipher my tap water parameters before I buy anything. I'm putting my reef tank dreams on hold due to the startup costs, but I don't think it's a mistake to invest in a quality water filter.

On 2/3/2016 at 8:06 PM, ctaylor3737 said:

Www.purewaterclub.com cheapest you'll find

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2016 at 8:12 PM, Vpier said:

That's where I buy all of my RO equipment. Free shipping is a plus :thumbsu:

I already have a 4 stage R/O unit, but just wondering, out of all the R/O systems they carry, which would be the one you would get?

On 3/14/2016 at 2:01 PM, Vpier said:

it would take a while for the unit to dry out but if you think its going to be awhile make a gallon or two a week in gallon milk jugs for topping off and your unit will not a dry out.

Just a note that milk jugs are a #2 plastic(recycle triangle) soft, and are somewhat porous so may contain residue.  Most juice jugs are a #1 which is more dense/harder and easier to clean out residue.  Less chance of leakage due to accidental puncture as well.

16 hours ago, Dropline said:

Gotcha, well that sucks.. they do not have that one I want on there. :( Guess I start working on a "Plan-B" later tonight.  

I found the one I want on their e-bay store... $4 more but I guess better than direct so I can at least use ebay as a middle man if there are issues.  Anyone order from their ebay store?

Do you have a link to the ebay filter? Just make sure its apples to apples. Some units will have two of the same cartridges. For example you might see a four stage for sale but it has 2 carbons but no DI and so on. Adding two carbons to replace a more expensive cartridge is way some sellers rip people off.

1 minute ago, Vpier said:

Do you have link to the ebay filter? Just make sure its apples to apples. Some units will have two of the same cartridges. For example you might see a four stage for sale but it has 2 carbons but no DI and so on. Adding two carbons to replace a more expensive cartridge is way some sellers rip people off.

Yes, same one 7 stage 0ppm 150gpd. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0ppm-7st-150-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-3xDI-Water-Filters-/380359566067?hash=item588f3262f3

I know I do not need 3 DI.. figured I would run them 2 at a time, then when TDS starts to creap make the 2nd one the 1st one and add the 3rd new one. ;)  Eventually I would replace that with a 10" can with the color change stuff.  Actually I will eventually add a dual can for post RO.. one carbon for Fridge and one DI for tank water with a 5 gallon tank just before them so 3.5g of water ready for carbon or di. :)

Wife is pregnant, so really want her to start drinking filtered water instead of tap ASAP. 

38 minutes ago, Dropline said:

Yes, same one 7 stage 0ppm 150gpd. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0ppm-7st-150-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-3xDI-Water-Filters-/380359566067?hash=item588f3262f3

I know I do not need 3 DI.. figured I would run them 2 at a time, then when TDS starts to creap make the 2nd one the 1st one and add the 3rd new one. ;)  Eventually I would replace that with a 10" can with the color change stuff.  Actually I will eventually add a dual can for post RO.. one carbon for Fridge and one DI for tank water with a 5 gallon tank just before them so 3.5g of water ready for carbon or di. :)

Wife is pregnant, so really want her to start drinking filtered water instead of tap ASAP. 

Sounds like a plan.:thumbsu:

My PureWaterClub 7 stage 0ppm 150gpd RODI came yesterday. I am still waiting on my 10.7 Gallon Storage Tank, QC 1/4" ball valves, Locking Clips, Stainless Steel 150 PSI Gauge, Check Valves, 50' of 1/4" Tubing, T-Connectors, 1/4"ntp-1/4"qc (To hook to fridge & waterline), Dual inline TDS and Faucet from Amazon and Air,Water&Ice.  Some will be here tomorrow and last things on Tuesday but I was still able to hook things up with the parts it came with. 

I checked for all the o-rings and they were all in place, then I checked all the Quick-Connect spots and 3 needed to be re-seated, rinsed it out and hooked it up to the water line (Temp with the free part it came with) and found a 4th QC on one of the cans needed to be seated as well.  

After that I ran about 10 or so gallons through the 1st 3 stages to clear any carbon dust, then hooked up the Membrane and flushed it for about 10mins without the flow restrictor.  Then I hooked the flow restrictor back up (It did leak, and I see why this is a problem spot for others, there is a dip in that connection coming out of the membrane housing and you can NOT install it all the way in, you need to pull back a little before letting it lock in place).  After that I let it run about 10 gallons through the clean side.  I checked it about 10min in and was 12TDS, checked after about an hour and a half and TDS is now 2.  The wife and I enjoyed a glass of RO at this point that was really tasty. :)

I am going to hook up 2 of the 3 DI filters running them bottom up vertically (Flushing 1st one before adding 2nd) and make my first 5 gallons for my water change today and put the 5 gallons of distilled I bought for it on the shelf and use HomeBrew RODI instead of Distilled. :) 

My tapwater ranges from 80-120 and yesterday was just under 90 so I think that has a lot to do with things being so low.  I am happy with my PWC filter and glad I went this route now just can't wait for the rest of the toys to come.  I do want to mention that I read a few people say the plastic feed connector it comes with leakes, well it WILL if you don't put the clear washer in the bag in on it, with the washer it works fine and it is cheap but only need it until tomorrow.   

Thanks @OMG Aquatics @Vpierand everyone else for your recommendations and reviews. 

Spoke too soon, the flow restrictor is leaking again. 

When I look them up at other places they are not "Rated" the same for flow.  

What is a good one to replace the one that comes with the 150gpd PureWaterClub membranes?  I take it the "Flow" needs to match with the the membrane to make sure you get the right ratio of waste:clean right?

Edited by Dropline
spelling, I suck at spelling :(

On 4/22/2016 at 8:59 AM, Dropline said:

I found the one I want on their e-bay store... $4 more but I guess better than direct so I can at least use ebay as a middle man if there are issues.  Anyone order from their ebay store?

Yes actually I bought it  from their Ebay store... And I really enjoy the unit, and can't go wrong for the price