My 20 Gallon Long Sulawesi Tank

mayphly

I have been wanting Sulawesi shrimps for a long time. So, I thought I would start a journal here and document my efforts in attempting to keep and breed these guys. I’m mainly interested in keeping caridina spinata (yellow cheeks) Here’s what I got going so far

Tank - 20 gallon long

Substrate - Crushed black lava rock

Light - 30” LED 6500K

Heater - Two 50 watt heaters

Filter - Aquaclear 50 loaded with bio media and sponge on inlet

Additives - Bactor AE and Old Sea Mud

Last night I scaped the tank with some large and medium sized lava rocks. I also added some cut up marimo balls throughout the tank and wrapped a couple stones with some. I do have some nice algae (the good kind...lol!!) covered Seriyu stone which I may add to keep the ph up. Since this tank is new I also added stress zyme which adds live bacteria to help with cycling. I’ll be using SS 8.5 and RO water.

Here’s a pic of my set up. The water is a bit cloudy because of the crushed lava rock. It has since cleared up. Now for the hard part. 

Waiting.......................

post-89-0-13505400-1401504201_thumb.jpg

Today I added some pelia, subwassertang and a few blyxa. I got the temps up to 83-84 and the co2 cranked up to help speed things up. I'm adding bacter ae daily along with some ferts. I'm digging the rocky scape look so far.

post-89-0-11828300-1402020045_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-84365400-1402020070_thumb.jpg

Crank that co2 up and it will help! I really like that rock you have with the cave! How much did that cost you? Where did you get them? Always curious because its nice to compare how much they are in the area. I have a crazy rock that is from south africa, at my LFS someone put it in the container that was .50 a Lb. Should have seen the look on his face when I took it up, it was really $8 a lb. He gave it to me without question and he told me the next time I was in. I tried to give it back to him but he was a nice guy and told me to keep it.

Sounds like a nice score! I think the lace was 2.50 a lb. It cost me under $20. for two nice big pieces. I am fortunate enough to live close by the Aqua Forest. They have so many cool things there it can be dangerous entering the store. Their display tanks are to drool over. They carrry mostly ADA stuff and have an awesome plant selection. If they don't have a specific plant in stock they will try and locate it for you. I'm going to try and find some plants from the Sulawesi lakes today. Hopefully they can help me out. If you like nice aquarium rocks and want to go broke check this out:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_7_14&products_id=782#prettyPhoto

How coarse is your substrate?

I love those rocks. I was thinking of similar design with more open around middle front.

The substrate is very course. It's crushed lava rock. I keep rearranging the rocks. Lol! I would like the front to have a more flat surface and rise up towards the rear. I saw a similar set up and the person had white sand in the middle which looked really cool. Are you starting a Sulawesi tank as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nice! Great look, it will be a great home for your shrimp!

Sounds like a nice score! I think the lace was 2.50 a lb. It cost me under $20. for two nice big pieces. I am fortunate enough to live close by the Aqua Forest. They have so many cool things there it can be dangerous entering the store. Their display tanks are to drool over. They carrry mostly ADA stuff and have an awesome plant selection. If they don't have a specific plant in stock they will try and locate it for you. I'm going to try and find some plants from the Sulawesi lakes today. Hopefully they can help me out. If you like nice aquarium rocks and want to go broke check this out:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_7_14&products_id=782#prettyPhoto

Wow I would love to see one of those stores. I would spend a bunch of money.

-Chris

Never realy liked ADA stones, more times than not it's a lime stone that they give some stupid name to. This looks no different. This one apears to be heavily weathered, or has been altered using either acid or possibly fuel oil (I'm not kidding) I have seen fuel oil spills do this to lime stone. No I won't run this test it's messy and I deal with enough hazardous waste at work.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Never realy liked ADA stones, more times than not it's a lime stone that they give some stupid name to. This looks no different. This one apears to be heavily weathered, or has been altered using either acid or possibly fuel oil (I'm not kidding) I have seen fuel oil spills do this to lime stone. No I won't run this test it's messy and I deal with enough hazardous waste at work.

I would think you would be awesome at finding/getting awesome rocks for tanks. You said your a geologist right... well also you username says so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I guess as long as people keep buying them people will keep making them.

People are funny!

I do have a collection of very interesting rocks from around the world but very few end up in my tanks. This is due to alot containing metals and salts. I don't put many in my tanks anyways as they are so heavily planted you can't see them any ways.

I.e. this is a 75 gallon tank lots of drift wood and one very large piece of pegmatite. my3yqygu.jpg

The substrate is very course. It's crushed lava rock. I keep rearranging the rocks. Lol! I would like the front to have a more flat surface and rise up towards the rear. I saw a similar set up and the person had white sand in the middle which looked really cool. Are you starting a Sulawesi tank as well?

No, Sulawesi will be in the future maybe by next year. Right now i am more concentrate on soft water...

The reason i am asking you about how coarse the substrate is shrimplets are digging down into substrate or going into an open crack and sometimes they can not going back up. Just want to point that out.

Where did you get crushed lava rock. with its high surface area it seems an ideal medium for biofilm

Posted Image

I suppose baby shrimp could become trapped in this sort of substrate. I guess I'll find out out soon.

I bought a large box of it on evilbay. There's enough to fill a 20L

I have been adding Bacter AE (16 days) since I started the tank, Today I can see green spot algae beginning to form in various spots on the rocks and on the glass. Also, just noticed some brown (diatom) algae on the back glass as well.

I was just checking my tank and found this guy hanging out in it. Yesterday I did a water change in my 12g which houses blue diamond shrimp. I took 3 huge amazon frogbit plantlets out of the tank. They were covered in duckweed. Since I don't want duckweed in my Sulawesi tank I washed it all off in the sink under regular tap water and threw them in the 20L. He must have been hanging on for dear life while under the faucet. He seems totaly fine. He went from 72 deg to 82 deg water. This guy is one lucky son of a shrimp!

post-89-0-89038200-1402960111_thumb.jpg