Shipping

ctaylor3737

I have never shipped in the warmer time of,the year. Any suggestions figured I would prepare for the heat. Been sending out a few packages,and it's getting warmer. I know about cold packs but what the most cost effective ones to use. I always just not shipped in the summer. Winter is easy for me lol.

-Chris

• 4 weeks later...

The phase 22's look really cool!  I haven't had many problems shipping in the summer, the main issue is how long the package sits on someones front porch before they get it.

Yea if they were a bit cheaper, I went with the gel ones and the dry ones. Going to test them both. Also got the shipping styros for the usps boxes from tks

-Chris

i learned my lesson. i wont get shrimp for a while. i ordered some from nick and due to my high temps one didnt make it. i got express and the package was delivered by like 8:30-9:00 am in the morning. the cold pack was barly cool. i think what got my shrimp was the humidity and heat index. 2 of the 3 tb made it great and all 6 neos did. but even with express and a cool pack i think with the temps im already having its just better on the livestock to wait. oh i live in oklahoma. the night before i got my shrimp it only got to 75 and prob 80 with heat index, yes even at night. we can get 70%+ humidity here during the summer and that can bit a big one. 

nick and the misses packed great by the way. but some places just shouldnt get fragile things during hot temps. lol i learned my lesson. im not even getting fish for a while 

i learned my lesson. i wont get shrimp for a while. i ordered some from nick and due to my high temps one didnt make it. i got express and the package was delivered by like 8:30-9:00 am in the morning. the cold pack was barly cool. i think what got my shrimp was the humidity and heat index. 2 of the 3 tb made it great and all 6 neos did. but even with express and a cool pack i think with the temps im already having its just better on the livestock to wait. oh i live in oklahoma. the night before i got my shrimp it only got to 75 and prob 80 with heat index, yes even at night. we can get 70%+ humidity here during the summer and that can bit a big one.

nick and the misses packed great by the way. but some places just shouldnt get fragile things during hot temps. lol i learned my lesson. im not even getting fish for a while

Yea that does, it's not too bad. once I lost a 150$ package. never did show up ugh. only lucky I got was my carbons was MIA for 6 days. They showed up alive! during a snowstorm lol

-Chris

This past winter was the worst experience shipping out that I ever had.  USPS changed policies, or laid off staff or something.  Although much of my packages arrived to their destinations alive, many arrived dead as well because of delays.

When something happens and I have to replace shrimp, I'll do it- but this past winter I made no money at all for maintenance of my current stock. 

Only since maybe April has USPS picked up the slack again here.  I hope this isn't a regular graph for years to come.

This past winter was the worst experience shipping out that I ever had.  USPS changed policies, or laid off staff or something.  Although much of my packages arrived to their destinations alive, many arrived dead as well because of delays.

When something happens and I have to replace shrimp, I'll do it- but this past winter I made no money at all for maintenance of my current stock. 

Only since maybe April has USPS picked up the slack again here.  I hope this isn't a regular graph for years to come.

If you want reliable shipping service, choose FedEx or UPS. 

Most of USPS Express Mail delivers on time. 70-90% of Priority Mail does NOT deliver on time.

From my experiences here in Illinois, FedEx and UPS charge more and show up around teh same time as USPS.  I've tried all three.

FedEx and UPS is money back guarantee. USPS Priority Mail which most people use does NOT have guarantee. From my experience, USPS Priority Mail and USPS First Class Mail has no speed difference. USPS tells you to just **** off when USPS Priority Mail is late. FedEx/UPS will actually refund you.

USPS will not deliver 1st class over 13 oz.  Priority mail does that.  I know some people will deliver shrimp in a VCR cassette box, but I refuse to do that.

I've never tried to get a refund from FedEx or UPS, however I have had people tell me that to get to either one is very inconviant for them if a post notice was left because they were not home.  In some cases people have to drive a distance to get their package, whereas a USPS is close by.

But again, I've never followed up on the FedEx or UPS late packages.

USPS will not deliver 1st class over 13 oz.  Priority mail does that.  I know some people will deliver shrimp in a VCR cassette box, but I refuse to do that.

I've never tried to get a refund from FedEx or UPS, however I have had people tell me that to get to either one is very inconviant for them if a post notice was left because they were not home.  In some cases people have to drive a distance to get their package, whereas a USPS is close by.

But again, I've never followed up on the FedEx or UPS late packages.

FedEx/UPS/USPS all offer the same delivery service in a way. As long as you leave a note and sign it, they are more than happy to leave the package at your front door or whereever you choose. There is no need to travel. They offer 3 attempts.

I've had decent luck with USPS being on time, and reading my notes, but twice they've damaged my packages. (Once I got a nice plastic tub on my doorstep containing a soggy package full of broken glass and my mom's home-canned produce, without even the customary "Oops we broke your stuff!" apology note. Ugh.)

UPS in particular has been a disaster to get packages from at our place, however, as the driver(s) don't always leave notes, sometimes take packages to the apartment office and sometimes don't (and don't leave a note either way, so we have to go and check the office daily). They also don't always READ signed notes to leave things either... maybe because they don't ever walk up the single outdoor flight of stairs to actually look at our door. One time we were literally inside, waiting in the afternoon/evening for a package to arrive, checked the online tracking and it said "delivery attempted, not home, will try again tomorrow" (or equivalent). (no note, of course) WTF, we're sitting right here by the door, pretty sure we would have heard had you actually tried to deliver! We reported our route/driver to the company after that event, but still had another issue afterward. Now anything important I have delivered to a business address instead, which seems to go better.

I'm sure delivery is a thankless job all around, so I'll stop my ranting. But I can only imagine what it would be like trying to mail living things on a regular basis and the level of frustration and heartbreak that would cause.

the thing is ups took over usps last winter once christmas season hit. they over promised delivery times and have a huge infux in packages and had to have usps deliver them. hell 90% of the time when i get a ups package it is delivered by usps here. we dont even have a local ups or fedex office here and ill be damned if im traveling 50 miles to get to one. not to mention their rates are higher as well. 

poopians if you dont believe me on the ups having usps deliver i have pics of packages like my pure water club ro unit and i can find the news artical about christmas packages bumping usps last winter.

in all my years using usps for fish and shrimp (a good 10 years) i have only had the usps "loose" 2 boxes. one was about 07 back in the summer and it was guppies coming from califoria and the other box was a couple weeks ago. stupid sort facility 50 miles south was just sitting on the box. once i called the usps it got here in 15 hours instead of the 24 it normally takes to get packages from tulsa to local post offace and out for delivery. and now they are makeing a special effort to get boxes to me first thing in the morning instead of the normal noon time mail get here. its like "oh we have a package for that address so we will do that first then the rest of the rout" 

the thing is ups took over usps last winter once christmas season hit. they over promised delivery times and have a huge infux in packages and had to have usps deliver them. hell 90% of the time when i get a ups package it is delivered by usps here. we dont even have a local ups or fedex office here and ill be damned if im traveling 50 miles to get to one. not to mention their rates are higher as well. 

poopians if you dont believe me on the ups having usps deliver i have pics of packages like my pure water club ro unit and i can find the news artical about christmas packages bumping usps last winter.

in all my years using usps for fish and shrimp (a good 10 years) i have only had the usps "loose" 2 boxes. one was about 07 back in the summer and it was guppies coming from califoria and the other box was a couple weeks ago. stupid sort facility 50 miles south was just sitting on the box. once i called the usps it got here in 15 hours instead of the 24 it normally takes to get packages from tulsa to local post offace and out for delivery. and now they are makeing a special effort to get boxes to me first thing in the morning instead of the normal noon time mail get here. its like "oh we have a package for that address so we will do that first then the rest of the rout" 

are you sure your packages arent being shipped by ups surepost?

when a package is shipped using ups surepost or ups mail innovations, it is always delivered by usps

I dont have a lfs just petco.... I order everything and it drives me nuts being at the mercy of the postal service. ...

in the same boat bro, almost everyone is. sure I have a few LFS but they are always double Amazon price. I still go there to buy fish but not always. refuse to get shrimp any more because they want 18$ each for A grade crystals lol.

-Chris

we have a small mom and pop shop here in town. not the best though. fish have taken a turn for the better in the last 6 moths though so that is good. they dont have crap for dry goods any more though. its more about reptiles and puppys and kittens than the aquatic stuff like it used to be. closest chain store is 30-50 miles away. because of that out walmart sells quite a few fish. all kinds too. they also have tank kits up to 55 gallon now as well.