Shipping

ctaylor3737

ours just upgraded to the locking lids so dumb kids cant mess with the fish. 2nd time they have upgraded the tanks in prob 10 years. im pretty sure the only reason our walmart keeps good stock is because we dont really have a chain pet store in town so they tend to make a fair bit of money off of them

we have a small mom and pop shop here in town. not the best though. fish have taken a turn for the better in the last 6 moths though so that is good. they dont have crap for dry goods any more though. its more about reptiles and puppys and kittens than the aquatic stuff like it used to be. closest chain store is 30-50 miles away. because of that out walmart sells quite a few fish. all kinds too. they also have tank kits up to 55 gallon now as well.

sucks for mom and pops on dry goods, most have a huge min order to make shipping worth it. if it doesn't sell fast it's a loss for them.

-Chris

During Dec it is risky ordering USPS .  I had a box from Soothing take over a week once it got to the state of Florida . It seemed just to sit at the sorting place but since the temps were in the 70s it made no difference and the shrimp all arrived fine but if this was a cold state it would have been very different outcome ..

Pika,

I am lucky that the mail carrier is excellent . The whole area loves him and suspect every house takes care of him for Christmas but the sorting post office which is further north is a horror .

I have been lucky that even with delayed packages I never had any losses but than again I do not order late June till late Oct .   It is simply to hot during the day .

i have trouble sending or receiving when florida is involved. if stuff goes though gainsville it always takes an extra day for some reason. be it any time of year.

most people i know that ship will stop shipping about thanksgiving and not pick back up till mid jan due to christmas rush and packages. just to much of a risk of being delayed due to such a huge volume going though

wicca,

Florida is the joke of the country and for good reason but on the other hand the right out of the tap water here is the best for shrimp, fish, plants so that is a big plus.

Yes you can but more so in south Florida than Northern Florida .   I keep fish outside .  Any pond or stock tank which is buried at least 1 foot will keep temps in the 70s on chilly winter 50 degree nights which are rare to begin with .

The north is different because when we have Jan temps of high 70s during the day it can be in the 60s in Orlando.

In my case being in Miami and in my area , I have experienced an explosion of baby iguanas which have AGAIN eaten all my frogbit and other plants . They swim like fish and will devour all your floating plants .

I wont hurt them so they mock me , lol .

It is legal but iguanas make the worse pets . Putting aside their size as adults they can be very aggressive ,

esp the males once they are adults .

They are not aggressive as wild but pets are another story . They are simply to smart for captivity and they seem to suffer .

They do great in large outdoor cages or indoor for that matter if people provide the correct lighting but most do not. I think that in the pet industry ,albino and red iguanas have replaced these greens .

Adult iguanas actually look both ways before crossing the street as funny as that might sound .

I had a large male iguana eat all my frogbit about a year ago than he was chased out of the area by another male who never enters yards which is great .

I purchased frogbit from Han only to have several babies eat it up in the course of this week . They love frogbit .

If not for my screened in gazebo they would eat my wifes orchids .

I like them but prefer they leave my floating plants alone .

They are non native and the record breaking cold spell Florida had years ago killed most of them but those who survived have

reproduced and their numbers are coming back but slowly due to feral cats and natural predators .

sounds like its time to put them on them on the menu :)  Good local food

You are going to think I'm crazy, but iguanas are supposed actually have a very nice taste.  The texture is supposed to be a lot like steak or crab, but bite sized.

A bit expensive over the internet, but Puerto Rico has a taste for it because it was easy to get:

http://buyexoticmeats.com/iguanameat.html.

Recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/iguana-451478

I think that is the cure of invasive species....just turn humans onto eating them....or making bags or cloths out of them :).  We are a very effective predator

People do eat them but I like them.  They can be a pain because they prefer aquatic type floating vegetation and devour frogbit, ludwiga, etc but if you have a medium size or larger dog which I do not . They wont enter your yard and at night they sleep up in tree's and wont go in your yard .

The stuffed dog or dog like replica does work but only for so long but it will give you a month without iguanas and imagine raccoons .

I picked up a stuffed bear that someone threw away and had it in the yard last year .  It worked for a month .

My neighbor has an English bull terrier and they do not enter his yard .

anyway...... :D

Has anyone has experience with the phase 22's?

I have been using them for the last 2 months with good effects. AlphaProBreeders where I bought mine said they can kill shrimp if the gel pack is touching the breather bag during shipment so I make sure to wrap it in thin brown paper when I ship. I have them sitting in a bag in my shrimp room and I can see them turn from solid to liquid just based on ambient temperature.

I have wondered if they work. A little expensive but maybe not If you get them to ship it back. Supposed to be reusable. Return shipping would be half of the price of the bag

-Chris