survival

OMG Aquatics

Nothing. I add absolutely nothing into my RES tank. Yes RES = Red Eared Slider.

Just plain cold tap water straight from the faucet.

My danio/minnow/pleco are doing great. Pleco never fed. Danio and minnow gets fed if I remember to.

I had 5 danios and only 2 died which was long ago. The 3 has been alive in these conditions for more than one month.

OKay, what's happening is that when you are topping off with tap, you are adding TDS into your tank.

For instance- Let's say your tap is TDS 400.  When water evaporates, the water is gone, but the TDS of 400 stays in the tank.

When you top off with your tap, the TDS in the new water is an additional 400, plus you are adding that to your tank of TDS 400 water.  This is where teh TDS raises.

That's why when topping off, people use RO which adds nothing.  TDS 0 (or nearly so.)

It's not the cuttlebone.  At least it never happened when I was using them. :)

OKay, what's happening is that when you are topping off with tap, you are adding TDS into your tank.

For instance- Let's say your tap is TDS 400.  When water evaporates, the water is gone, but the TDS of 400 stays in the tank.

When you top off with your tap, the TDS in the new water is an additional 400, plus you are adding that to your tank of TDS 400 water.  This is where teh TDS raises.

That's why when topping off, people use RO which adds nothing.  TDS 0 (or nearly so.)

It's not the cuttlebone.  At least it never happened when I was using them. :)

my tap water TDS is 50 and below. Tested it. 

Assuming you are using a real cuttlebone (the internal structure in squids and what not) this structure is composed of aragonite which for all intents and purposes is lime stone. (CaCO3) the reason that it is called aragonite and not lime stone is that aragonite has a definite crystalline structure, while lime stone does not. And as you know lime stone will change your pH and TDS

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Definitely the Cuttlebone

Wow.  Maybe it IS the cuttlebone. (?)  It never changed the TDS in my tank though.  Weird.

Depend on how much cuttlebone compare to water volume! It does increase your TDS

Ctaylor,

Yes they are , Get yourself a Florida pygmy octopus and you will be amazed at how smart. A friend had one by accident (came in the live rock he picked up in Key West ) and interesting little creature.

He would put a ping pong ball in the tank and the octopus seemed to actually play with it as far as pulling it under water than letting it go enjoying this . After awhile the octopus was actually beating my friend at ping pong itself .  I'm just kidding but he did entertain himself with the ball but they are short lived .

Ctaylor,

Yes they are , Get yourself a Florida pygmy octopus and you will be amazed at how smart. A friend had one by accident (came in the live rock he picked up in Key West ) and interesting little creature.

He would put a ping pong ball in the tank and the octopus seemed to actually play with it as far as pulling it under water than letting it go enjoying this . After awhile the octopus was actually beating my friend at ping pong itself . I'm just kidding but he did entertain himself with the ball but they are short lived .

I really want to see a cuttlefish in person. It seems they only live a year and would be impossible to keep. That is one fish I would feel terrible for putting in a tank. It is made to hunt the reef. It looks like something from space, first time a fish amazed me like that. Crazy not many people even know about them and what they are capable of.

-Chris

They are awesome, their camouflage amazes me. I too would really like to own one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wow can't believe people would put those in tanks. Would be awesome but still,couldn't do it lol.

-Chris

I am pretty sure that the cuttlefish special you saw are the cold water variety which change colors rather fast and communicate with colors .

The link that Soothing posted is the pygmy type which I was reading is now CB which is nice because they used to be sold in the 70's and early 80s taken from the wild .

I have seen the pygmy but never the bigger more active type . The pygmy's seem shyer .

I am not able to post a link here , not sure why but I will send you the dwarf cuttlefish care site , if you can post the link you can post it in another thread as not to hijack poopians thread , the pics are very nice.

I think you would like one as would soothing .

I am pretty sure that the cuttlefish special you saw are the cold water variety which change colors rather fast and communicate with colors .

The link that Soothing posted is the pygmy type which I was reading is now CB which is nice because they used to be sold in the 70's and early 80s taken from the wild .

I have seen the pygmy but never the bigger more active type . The pygmy's seem shyer .

I am not able to post a link here , not sure why but I will send you the dwarf cuttlefish care site , if you can post the link you can post it in another thread as not to hijack poopians thread , the pics are very nice.

I think you would like one as would soothing .

Yea it was of the larger breed. I really like the dwarf ones. Makes me want to start a large salt water tank. Sucks they only live a year but that is still awhile for a fish. I wouldn't want to get them unless I could,breed Them. It pains me to have to pay tons of money for something that won't live that long or breed.

-Chris

I would think that you could breed them with the correct water temp?

I had a friend breed the Australian blue ring octopus and he was just using an under gravel filter .

Very pretty but I found it crazy to keep them due to their venom .

He wound up destroying the babies because local pet stores did want them, no internet back than to sell online . it was all mail order .