CPD help?

Soothing Shrimp

Everybody tells me it is easy to figure out the fems from the males, but for the life of me I can't do it- otherwise I would separate them for conditioning.  They say look for the black spot like the fem gups have.  But ALL MINE have the black spot, and new fry have been occasionally born so I know I have at least one male with them...

Based on what I have read it has to do with the shape of the spot. I'm not very good at it my self. One thin I have noticed is that my females seem to have slightly muted body color. I also found a page which is dedicated to them with lots of info however the community seems to be inactive

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Ya I have read about the spot as well....I just threw all my adults (8 or so) into a 10 gallon to breed and let them sort out the males and females :).  I don't know if you need to really condition them.

How do you keep the eggs/fry from getting eaten?

What temp?

And do you have ramshorn snails in with yours? (I'm wondering if they are eating eggs, then)

I don't do any thing special for the eggs, since they scatters. My tank is heavily planted you will be hard pressed to see the floor of the tank when looking down in to it.

My tank is currently at 72 degrees, however this fluctuates as it is a unheated tank.

As far as snails eating eggs I guess it's possible, as I have lots of snails of all varieties that I am currently combating. I also keep RCS in this tank as well so they probably are getting there fair share as well.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.celestialpearldanio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1243   this is where I learned how to make a mop and they float them hanging straight down using styrofoam in the knot. But if you are using an egg trap, then they actually attach to a box on the floor of the tank and the strands float up. Both will work.