The Discus Thread

Soothing Shrimp

Yea I'm pretty good with Discus you could say. Once had 400+ lol. There's two main Discus you'll find in the U.S most are Asian bred and they have most of the different Color strains that you see. Then there are Stendker German Discus, these are considered the best discus lines that people keep. There are a lot of other sources, local breeders, etc. Those two are the most common that I find. Asian Discus are popular because they are cheap, and plentiful. You have to be very careful because they feed them hormones that make the color strains bright and can cause stunting.

Like shrimp Discus are not bright and colorful in the wild. The wilds of discus are beautiful fish and the colored ones were the result of selective breeding. When young Discus require large quantity of high quality food to grow large. The amount of food they need and due to the fact it's raw meat the water can get nasty quick. They love spotless low flow water, over filtration is a must. Discus are very easy to keep, as long as you understand what they need. Water changes are a must more often. In the discus community lots of debates on what they need.

-Chris

Depends on who you ask lol. I have mixed pairs and they produce interesting off spring. You will usually get a mixture of the parents. Most try to pair up the same stain. Makes selling easier because,you can show what the parents look like.

-Chris

A fully grown discus will take a year to get fully grown. They grow rather quickly from 1-3.5 then it kinda goes in spurts. Large size will depend on how much you took care of the fish. Gotta have awesome food, clean water, and disease free fish. I have seen discus get stunted and only be 2 inches their whole life. I also had discus as big as dinner plates. Breeds also matter, typically you will see Asian farmers use growth hormones to make the fish have adult colors. This is very bad for the fish. Stay away from discus that are small and super colorful. A 1-2.5 discus should be dark and just getting colors sometimes they are Brown when amall. They won't show their true colors till a year. You can watch them change everyday. Substrate and background use light colors. They will lighten or darken to match the surroundings. A black discus is a sign of sickness.

-Chris

People have tried but seems the lighter colors always come through. The only darker colored ones are wilds. They are not really dark either.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that I am pretty amazed no one has bred a black discus yet.  Usually melanistic is one of the first things to breed for.

I don't think it be that hard I'd call them black out . To make this happen you must chant Jack Whattley preform 100% water change on a Olympic swimming pool using a tea cup, pray to 7 different Gods, spend 800$ on a pair of wilds and make friend with Jesus. In all seriousness I'd love to see a black out discus in the trade. Reason you haven't when you say discus people think colorful. We think alike soothing shrimp< this guy is awesome

When it come's to discus I'm kind of a purest love the wild look. Another amazing breeder Alexander Piwowarski he's the man in my book. Going to get some of his stock soon maybe some cobalt's.

Purple and green seem to be absent too. I saw Ocean and Fletcher, but Ocean is more blue I hear, and Fletcher pretty much affects color on fins only.

bro look up the dark angels from Hans. coolest ones I have they are blue, green, purple and pink. change colors all the time. are literally amazing and mine are juvies, I can't wait for them to get large.

-Chris

I don't think it be that hard I'd call them black out . To make this happen you must chant Jack Whattley preform 100% water change on a Olympic swimming pool using a tea cup, pray to 7 different Gods, spend 800$ on a pair of wilds and make friend with Jesus. In all seriousness I'd love to see a black out discus in the trade. Reason you haven't when you say discus people think colorful. We think alike soothing shrimp< this guy is awesome

Yea I'm thinking about looking into a strain That is darker to create a dark colored one.

-Chris

I'd like to but I would be just following in your foot steeps. Me and my friend discussed making a black discus two years ago and how to go about it. We thought about finding turks with a lot of banding and staring there try to get some wild hybrid with dark banding select fish with widest band breed them out. If you can make an all white discus you can make an all black one.

Real stuff I've breed discus and sold 3.5 inch discus. Keeping discus is not that hard, breeding them well that's a different story. I already see your interest, If you pull the trigger i'll help you anyway I can. 20 gallon high sponge filter a young mated pair at a reasonable price. let me know = ]

I used to keep and breed 300+ Discus. Stendkers, wilds, Asians had them all. Had Discus the size of paper plates lol. Awesome fish, getting back into it but not at that level. Lots of work lol.

-Chris