Looking for Terrarium/Vivarium plants

Duff0712

Anyone know a good place to get terrarium/vivarium plants? I need to start sourcing for my naturalistic gecko vivarium project. I have an easy source for bamboo so I will get a few there, but my other choices are few.

I am mainly looking for Neoregelia sp., Philodendron sp., and Pothos. Although any others will do.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Anyone know a good place to get terrarium/vivarium plants? I need to start sourcing for my naturalistic gecko vivarium project. I have an easy source for bamboo so I will get a few there, but my other choices are few.

I am mainly looking for Neoregelia sp., Philodendron sp., and Pothos. Although any others will do.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

The Philodendron sp.and Pothos you can buy at any garden place even Home depot .

You can probably find Neoregelia on ebay, http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Terrarium-Plants_c_16.html and garden stores.

What type Geckos are you going to keep ?

I had a pair of Madagascar type small Geckos in a 40 gallon which were caught in Key west and hid behind corkbark every time I went in room for like 5 years , lol .

I have also kept Dwarf Yellow-headed Geckos.

post-74-0-96668300-1454493377_thumb.jpg

The Philodendron sp.and Pothos you can buy at any garden place even Home depot .

You can probably find Neoregelia on ebay, http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com/Terrarium-Plants_c_16.html and garden stores.

What type Geckos are you going to keep

attachicon.gifterrarium.jpg

Sweet thanks! I am deciding between giant day geckos and crested geckos.

Giant days are more vivid in color but Cresties are a derpy cute that you can't ignore haha

-Duffy

The Giant Days can be stunning and they come in different color hues .

http://www.giantdaygecko.com/gallery.html

I don't know much about Cresteds other than they are like ''pets'' as far as very tame and always out in the open .

The Geckos are smarter than most think but I would never get WC again only CB .

Have you considered Collards?  Or Leopards?

Collards are rainbow colored, while leos are bred in all kinds of different morphs.

New Mexico whiptails reproduce through parthenogenic reproduction, and can be really pretty shades of stripes on a blue background. Theoretically you could keep one and still have babies.

Lesbian-Lizards-a-Hybrid-Species-Out-of-

65832-80852.jpg

I am still pretty new to the reptile scene so I don't know what's all out there. I will take a look at collards though. I think I have my mind set of tropicalesque lizards though. Leopards are desert right?

-Duffy

My understanding with giant day geckos is they are practically impossible to hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Day geckos are more of 'look at' because you're correct that they are nervous .  If I was going to get a 'hold type' gecko I would get a crested .

If you feed wild anoles, house geckos and even skinks for awhile they come right next to you and I'm convinced can tell difference between people but wild day geckos even after couple years remain very aloof and stay semi hidden .

post-74-0-40336800-1454524868_thumb.jpg

Yeah. So you'd change your scape to air plants, succulants, etc.

Gotcha. The main reason I am kinda veering away from arid species is because of what space and tank I have. I have a 37tall at the moment although I think I am going to get an exoterra with the glass doors for convenience. But I can't get a very long tank so I am trying to limit myself to arboreal lizards since I can get taller tanks.

Tropiflora.com is a good source of plants. Lots of mini plants that can be used in even small vivariums.

Yes, day geckos have VERY delicate skin that tears and peels off in your hands.

My understanding with giant day geckos is they are practically impossible to hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Day geckos are more of 'look at' because you're correct that they are nervous .

If you feed wild anoles, house geckos and even skinks for awhile they come right next to you and I'm convinced can tell difference between people but wild day geckos even after couple years remain very aloof and stay semi hidden .

attachicon.gifday gecko in yard.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I think between the two the cresties will be a better pick. I don't plan to hold them often but having the option is nice :)

-Duffy

I saw this and started laughing.  Gee, why does this sound familiar?

"Crested geckos are “polygenic” (multiple genes controlling their phenotype) and less predictable because they aren’t considered het for any specific morph. It’s very “what you see is what you get”. Simply put, you can get cool things to pop out randomly, but then you need to selectively breed that through multiple generations."

I saw this and started laughing. Gee, why does this sound familiar?

"Crested geckos are “polygenic” (multiple genes controlling their phenotype) and less predictable because they aren’t considered het for any specific morph. It’s very “what you see is what you get”. Simply put, you can get cool things to pop out randomly, but then you need to selectively breed that through multiple generations."

I believe the tails don't grow back either. Which is interesting.

Yeah haha. As I've been looking around at the Cresties and day geckos I saw all the morphs and prices. The whole time I'm thinking oh god I'm going to get myself hooked on land shrimp.

It's already too late for me.

-Duffy