Tap Water Question, Analysis, and Help.

Yesterday, I did a experiment with my Tap Water. I use all RO water in my tanks, but I wanted to see if I could use my Tap Water, and just how different it was from the RO water, and also to

cut down on the expense.

I used API test Strips, and the API Master Kit, a TDS Meter, and a PH Meter to get all readings. I used the test tubes with the API Master Kit, with API GH, KH, Phosphate, Copper, and Ammonia tests.

I only used Colony, and Tetra Safe Start, and Bee Shrimp Minerals GH+ in water after tests. I wrote everything in my journal.

With just straight Tap Water - all tests at 72.5 degrees F.

TDS: - 61

PH: - 6.8

GH- 4 to 6

KH: - 6 to 8

Zero Ammonia

Zero Phosphate

Zero Copper

Zero Chlorine - which really surprised me

Tap Water: - After adding Colony, and Tetra Safe Start

TDS: was 130

All other water parameters the same.

So, my question is, would I be able to get away with using just Tap Water with Tetra Safe Start Plus, and Bee Shrimp Minerals GH+?

I would need to lower the KH using peat pellets, Malaysia drift wood, the xmas moss in the tanks, and plants, air stone, fallen oak leaf, Indian Almond leaf, sponge filters,

with the media area I have with the HOB, moving water filter, small UV Sterilizer, and each section has a nano filter. My substrate is Fluval Shrimp Stratum on the bottom

layer, and a top layer of Black Moon Sand.

I think I could get the (KH down to 1 to 2), and lower the (PH to 6.4 to 6.6) and keep the (GH around 4 to 6) - Or I could use a 50 / 50 mix of RO water and my Tap water?

I would like to lower my RO costs, but not at the expense of any of my Shrimp. But my Tap Water Tested way better than I thought. I have a one gallon tanks set up with

a nano filter, xmas moss square, Fluval Shrimp Stratum for substrate, and I used only Tap Water and treated it with Colony, and Tetra Safe Start, and the TDS is 130,

and the Temp is 72.5 degrees, and I put one gold fish in the one gallon tank with a small led light on top. With the Colony, it usually takes about 10 days to cycle, and

then I will see what the water reading are. Using the Colony, the gold fish does not seem stressed and is eating, and seems to be fine.

You have to do your experiment again. Get a container and fill it up with water. Leave it in open space for 24-48 hours. Your pH may change. Straight out of tap is about 6.4pH and after 48 hours, it goes up to 7.6

Once the water is exposed to air, the pH usually rises.

Doc what is your water source? I see your in Montana which means your water may be drawn from a crystalline rock aquifer or glacial water. This would explain your low tds and near neutral pH.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

We have 3 water sources here. I just got the water report on our tap water in a ton of details.

I will run the test again, and let it sit in a container for two days, and check quality again. Thanks for the tip.

Still have the question though, do you think I could use my Tap Water instead of RO, or a mix of the two

and still give the shrimp the parameters they want?

Thanks! Doc

You have to do your experiment again. Get a container and fill it up with water. Leave it in open space for 24-48 hours. Your pH may change. Straight out of tap is about 6.4pH and after 48 hours, it goes up to 7.6

Once the water is exposed to air, the pH usually rises.

Temperature plays a significant role on pH measurement.This is a result of the shifting of the chemical equilibrium of the components.

You also see PH swing when add mineral salt to water. Best to mix it outside aquarium a day before use.

I filled a container and will let it sit for another day or two, and do the test over again. I will probably redo the tests again this Wednesday, the 4th.

I am going to run some rain water test too. It is supposed to rain a lot this week, so I'll see what I get and post the results here.

Okay, I tested the Tap Water today after letting it sit for two and half days.

All test results are the same. See my first post.

The PH did not go up after sitting for over two days, all tests were exactly the same readings.

So, If I can lower the KH with Peat, Malaysian Drift Wood, Indian Almond Leaves, Fallen Oak Leaves,

plants, and moss, which will lower the PH some too, Do you think I could get away with using just tap

water for my Shrimp tanks?  Or maybe half Tap Water and half RO Water?

I would really like to get some opinions on this, and it is appreciated. I am also going to run some tests on

rain water as soon as I can. But I would like to cut down on my RO costs, if possible, but not at the expensive

of my shrimp. But it they are going to be okay with the Tap Water because it seems like the readings are all

okay, and I can lower the KH and PH some, then it should be okay for them. I think. So opinions are

appreciated.

Thanks, Doc

Okay, I tested the Tap Water today after letting it sit for two and half days.

All test results are the same. See my first post.

The PH did not go up after sitting for over two days, all tests were exactly the same readings.

So, If I can lower the KH with Peat, Malaysian Drift Wood, Indian Almond Leaves, Fallen Oak Leaves,

plants, and moss, which will lower the PH some too, Do you think I could get away with using just tap

water for my Shrimp tanks?  Or maybe half Tap Water and half RO Water?

I would really like to get some opinions on this, and it is appreciated. I am also going to run some tests on

rain water as soon as I can. But I would like to cut down on my RO costs, if possible, but not at the expensive

of my shrimp. But it they are going to be okay with the Tap Water because it seems like the readings are all

okay, and I can lower the KH and PH some, then it should be okay for them. I think. So opinions are

appreciated.

Thanks, Doc

Make sure there was aeration. 

Just want to be clear

1. when you testing ph with different temp get a different result.

2. When add salt to water the first 12 hours you see a ph swing.

Temps were the same. I don't have Salt water tanks, is there a reason to use salt to check the quality?

Yes, I buy my RO water right now. Investing in a RO filter system is something I am checking into

versus cost, versus using Tap Water, versus using a 50 / 50 mix of Tap and RO, and I am also

checking out water quality of rain water next.

But do either of you think it would be okay to use my Tap Water?

Temps were the same. I don't have Salt water tanks, is there a reason to use salt to check the quality?

Yes, I buy my RO water right now. Investing in a RO filter system is something I am checking into

versus cost, versus using Tap Water, versus using a 50 / 50 mix of Tap and RO, and I am also

checking out water quality of rain water next.

But do either of you think it would be okay to use my Tap Water?

In term of salt i was talking about minerals that you add into RO water.

The reason we use RO is a good starting point. Knowing for sure what is there then add minerals to achieve the desire parameters.

IMO if you want to use tap and RO then start out at 90% RO +10% tap then slowly increase the amount of tap water base on the condition of your shrimps.

Warning: also depend on how sensitive the shrimps are. However 10% tap is safe to start. I think 50/50 is too much of an unknown.

Those are only my 2 cents.

Oh, okay, yeah, I can use the Bee shrimp minerals GH+, with the straight Tap Water and get 130 TDS just fine.

It comes out with a TDS of 64, and after two and half days, the TDS stayed at 64, But I can add the salt and

get a TDS of 130, no problem. I usually keep my TDS between 135 and 150.

Oh, okay, yeah, I can use the Bee shrimp minerals GH+, with the straight Tap Water and get 130 TDS just fine.

It comes out with a TDS of 64, and after two and half days, the TDS stayed at 64, But I can add the salt and

get a TDS of 130, no problem. I usually keep my TDS between 135 and 150.

Do you know what is the GH ?

Too high a GH in water is actually bad for shrimp, it will cause molting issue.Their shell grows so well it's too hard to molt.
- Too low a GH makes molting easier, however, it may also cause issue with shell not harden yet.

6dgh is the optimal.

The GH on the Tap water is 4 to 6, on all three test.

Even after adding the salt to get to a TDS of 130, the GH is still 4 to 6.

The GH on the Tap water is 4 to 6, on all three test.

Even after adding the salt to get to a TDS of 130, the GH is still 4 to 6.

What is 4 to 6? Is it 4 or 6 or you are unsure?

It is 4 to 6 on GH, one reading was 4, one was 5, one was six, one was four, and the last one was 4. So that is why I said 4 to six.

This is just doing reading on my Tap Water, and it was over two and half days, of letting it sit.

I am not using any peat. This is the reading I get straight from the tap, (see the first post)

Right now I use all RO water in all of my tanks, and my water parameters are where I want them

to be and are stable. But I wanted to see if I could get away with using my Tap Water, or maybe

a mix of my Tap and RO to cut down on costs.

I am also going to run tests on rain water too soon, since I live in the mountains.