Good reads on selective breeding

countryboy12484

Just google selectively breeding shrimp and a bunch of stuff comes up.  Lots and lots and lots of ways to do it.  Just depends how much you want to "work" and how much you want to relax while doing it.

Something I've often wished is that I could "mark" individual shrimp for better knowledge of following genetic lines.

Bryce one way to track shrimp is to take a close up photo of the one you're tracking, print it out on computer paper and then circle it's distinct markings and keep it in a folder near your tank. A lot of work but it's the best way I know how.

A great way to do it that still allows you to relax is to have two tanks per colony.  Tank A, and a tank B (or more later on)

Tank A will hold your best colored shrimp of that strain, Tank B will be your less colored.

Tank A will be your concern for selective breeding.  Keep only the best of your trait in there and cull the rest of the babies into Tank B that doesn't match your standard.

You will work on your bell curve with Tank A.

Here's the trick- DON'T move from Tank B into A again.  You can start another tank (A2) if you'd like to work parallel to A.

Why?

You are slowly gathering the modifiers together into alignment of the trait you want in Tank A.  If you move a different tank shrimp into Tank A, it has stuff genetically in the background that you don't want.  (The relatives were not bred for your goal.) It sets you back and costs you time.  If you keep adding from Tank B, you may never reach your goal.

Now the advantage of a Tank A and a Tank A2 (if you decide later), is that if- in time- they are displaying similar desired traits, you can switch out shrimp between the two and you can increase diversity, but it is not a necessity. :)

Clear as mud? LOL

Got it nice to know I have the right idea... and thanks for the tip... when I get my malawa's ide like to do something with those. ... I think its a species that could produce some very interesting morphs. .. I kinda believe sulwasi shrimp could be a chance for American breeders to shine... and I want in on it lol

Derek

+1  My biggest tip is to selectively breed what interests you, not what you think will sell- or you'll be very disappointed. heh  People are fickle, and what's in now is out later.

It sounds as if you are interested in furthering interest in certain shrimp by working on varieties.  Very noble, and I wish you all the luck!  It's not an easy road, but fun just the same!

I also have a 1 year old daughter and I hope she takes interest in the hobby... If I woulda gotten into something like this when I was younger maybe I woulda had something to do besides seeing how meany times I could get locked up in a week lol...

Derek

I hear ya, my friend. :)  Selective breeding can become a very consuming passion. Lots of aspects to it, from application to research.

I love it when I can buy a new tank or upgrade something.  I'd never be able to make a living from it though. You will make some neat friends, and have fleeting respect- but you nailed it, do it for personal satisfaction and because we all have to help each other. *thumbsup*

I hear ya, my friend. :) Selective breeding can become a very consuming passion. Lots of aspects to it, from application to research.

I love it when I can buy a new tank or upgrade something. I'd never be able to make a living from it though. You will make some neat friends, and have fleeting respect- but you nailed it, do it for personal satisfaction and because we all have to help each other. *thumbsup*

Yea hard to make a living doing it. It I'll help pay for upgrades or new shrimp. Just gotta save up from sales! Keeps the lady from getting angry.

-Chris

I'm always just glad when a hobby pays for itself. My main hobby is car modification and I will paint/airbrush or detail other people's cars just to use that money towards my own. It isn't that I need to do it to afford the hobby, but I enjoy painting, and detailing is almost just as relaxing as fishing for me. I enjoy detailing and it's nice that it pays for something else I enjoy...

Or...

I am also going to start making custom fly and spinning rods to support my fishing pole lust. If I had to give up all hobbies but one, fly fishing would be the one I kept. If I could get to the point of buying my rod for "free" it would be awesome.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm always just glad when a hobby pays for itself. My main hobby is car modification and I will paint/airbrush or detail other people's cars just to use that money towards my own. It isn't that I need to do it to afford the hobby, but I enjoy painting, and detailing is almost just as relaxing as fishing for me. I enjoy detailing and it's nice that it pays for something else I enjoy...Or...I am also going to start making custom fly and spinning rods to support my fishing pole lust. If I had to give up all hobbies but one, fly fishing would be the one I kept. If I could get to the point of buying my rod for "free" it would be awesome.ChrisSent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I used to paint cars for about 10 years. Loved doing it but had someone rob my whole tool box. Could never afford to buy them all again, switched jobs and haven't done it in years. Would love to get back into it again.

-Chris

.I am also going to start making custom fly and spinning rods to support my fishing pole lust. If I had to give up all hobbies but one, fly fishing would be the one I kept. If I could get to the point of buying my rod for "free" it would be awesome.ChrisSent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If your ever out in northern NY be sure to bring your fly rod we have some of the best salmon fishing in the world. Every year the next town over gets inundated with fly fishers from around the world fishing for salmon.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

If your ever out in northern NY be sure to bring your fly rod we have some of the best salmon fishing in the world. Every year the next town over gets inundated with fly fishers from around the world fishing for salmon.

That does sound nice. I tend to be more of a trout fisher, and am lucky to live only about 2 hours away from the Ausable, one of the best trout rivers in the world.

Chris

That does sound nice. I tend to be more of a trout fisher, and am lucky to live only about 2 hours away from the Ausable, one of the best trout rivers in the world.

Chris

Very nice. I used to enjoy trout fishing along the west and east branch of the Delaware river, in the area of deposit NY. Now I have a salmon and trout creek about 500 yes from my front door that no body but a few locals fish because it's so hard to get to.