Add & ADHD

Subtletanks91

So I'm confused. My doctor tells me I have add. Which I already knew because I took Ritalin as a child. Not sure why they stopped it. So my doctor tells me I have add and gives me a Rx for Ritalin again. What makes no sence to me is why would they give you meds that boost your energy. Instead of making you focus they put this energy in you. And it's basically the same thing as chasing the dragon. (Anyone who has used will understand this)

Then he tells me that he wished I had room for more tanks because that's really the only thing I can focus on for long periods of time.

Does this make sence to anyone here? Why do they give meds that put you all over the place instead of ones that calm you down and help you focus,

Several people in my family have ADHD, and ADD.  It comes along, unfortunately, with Aspergers syndrome often for my family.

The body is basically saying "I gotta keep doing stuff, I gotta keep doing stuff..."  So attention is short, energy is high, etc.

The way I understand it, the meds excite the part of the brain that needs the stimulation.  This enables the body to calm down.  My kids claim they don't feel any different.  No buzz or anything, but their body is able to be calm.  The med that has worked with my immediate family has been Focalin.

Is focal in basically the same as Ritalin. Doc wanted to give vyvance but with no insurance 140 out of pocket is a bit excessive lol.

For me it's not so much that I have a natural abundance of energy saying I need to do stuff all the time it's more of a very short attention span. I can't hold a normal convo for more than 5 minutes and I begin to space out and can't absorb anything being said lol.

That sounds like the ADD aspect.  We don't have insurance right now, so a bottle of 45 count 10mg Focalin for us costs around $60 from Sam's Club- and no, you do not have to have a membership to use the pharmacy there.  That bottle lasts us around 1 month.

I think on the Focalin site if you can get the doc to prescribe Focalin XR, you can apply for the card which saves up to $60 each monthly prescription.  Don't know the difference in cost though between Focalin and Focalin XR.  http://www.focalinxr.com/info/savings.jsp

I had add as a child and the rit calmed me down a lot and slowed everything down. It usually has a slowing effect if you have adhd or c versa. I think it made it worse because I became very meticulous and really think stuff out lol.

-Chris

Lol I wish my fiancé had add. When she gets mad it usually takes a couple days. Where as I've already done moved passed it in 15 minutes and forgot why she was mad in the first place haha.

The rit give me a boost of energy for like 3 hours and then once that passes I notice a bit more focus but nothing like I was expecting from it,