DOA what did I do wrong???

svetilda

Before I sent the shrimp I packed the same boxes (styrofoam and mail box) with 2 bags filled with only water. Packed it as it was going to be shipped nd gave it to my son. I told him he can drop it and roll it. As soon as he dropped the box one of the bags burst... This is how I've decided to double bag.

with LongLife,they need to be like a pillow,not a water balloon.

could that be why?

IME heat packs are unreliable. I've used the 72 hour ones many times and sometimes they arrive warm and sometimes they arrive cold. I've only had 1 DOA ever and it was because the shrimp got cooked because of the heat pack. Now I just use 4" think pink insulation. The lowest temps I've shipped in were the mid 20's with just insulation and the shrimp arrived in good shape. I just avoid heat packs nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently shipped livestock for the first time—snails. One trial was with another member here, who wanted 5 of them. Another was with a fellow hobbyist from elsewhere who in actuality wanted quite a few more, but I kept the numbers low because I wanted to see how the shipping method worked. If I'm going to have a big screw-up from my inexperience, it won't be on ~25-50% of my marketable stock. Since both of those shipments went off without a hitch, I know that the overall method works and that I am able to do it.

I've recently shipped livestock for the first time—snails. One trial was with another member here, who wanted 5 of them. Another was with a fellow hobbyist from elsewhere who in actuality wanted quite a few more, but I kept the numbers low because I wanted to see how the shipping method worked. If I'm going to have a big screw-up from my inexperience, it won't be on ~25-50% of my marketable stock. Since both of those shipments went off without a hitch, I know that the overall method works and that I am able to do it.

Shipping snails is a lot easier than shipping shrimps or fish.

So if you plan on shipping shrimp or fish, do some trial runs for those as well.

Make sure you do not double bag breather bags. Also use newspaper to wrap up your heat pack and make sure you are creating a good distance between the heat pack and the shrimp. Do not use anything like bubble wrap or plastic around your breather bag as this restricts the function of the breather bag. Use newspaper and white insulation foam in the box. 

i would guess what caused the problem is the double bagging or the heat pack overheated them. If they are falling apart they have been dead awhile, perhaps the foil along with the heatpack did it in. What size box are you using? 

Do not pack your breather bag tightly, if you do it will burst if dropped. I've shipped hundreds of these bags and only problem was when I tied them too tight, in the beginning. make the bag soft. So that its not tight like a water balloon.

The heatpack you should be using is - UNIHEAT heatpack. It is for shipping of live fish/inverts/reptiles.

Don't be scared to ship. Just take others advice who ship and we will help you where you went wrong. Once you get the hang of it you will be confident in your ability to ship. Shrimp are actually hardy to ship so if something does go wrong its usually something to do with temp or bag bursting. The good news is these are mostly avoidable, unless the box is mishandled by the carrier - but this is very rare.

is there a thread on here showing proper shrimp shipping technique?