Selective Breeding specific threads

so, here my idea. I think it could greatly increase traffic her and make this forum unique take it as you will as it would require some work from some people.

Us newbies are really interested and want to start learning about selective breeding. Right now, since people seem to like to keep everything secret, the only option is to find someone to really sit down and teach you or try for years to come up with your own tricks. People at this site really seem more open and want to share.

A section dedicated to just selective breeding for be nice and helpful, but what would be better is to have the thread closed add people can only post by invitation. Once a week or month ask someone to type up an "article" of hints, tricks, or experiences.

Instead of weeding through hundreds of posts to find 3-5 good ones, you could go there and just read to your hearts content. If people here have connections else where they might be able to ask them.

Selective breeding is something I could see myself really getting into, but its so hard to find out what mixes with what, might mix with what, how to get certain colors or qualities in color, set ups, the way genes tend to work.

I know if I ever get experienced enough to write an article, I know I wouldn't have a problem taking a night to write something short.

Thank you,

Chris

selective breeding isnt that hard really. you just pull what ever shrimp you want to breed and do so. cull any that dont look like you want. best to have a holding tank in case the traits you want show up later. other than that its just a lot of time, energy, and space.

Time, money and space.  Ah.  The holy trinity of breeding. heh  You'll actually hear me say the breeding trinity time and time again.

Wicca mentioned one way of selective breeding- and it is very effective.  However there are lots and lots of different ways of breeding and theories behind breeding.

Honestly, one of the best articles I have ever read on selective breeding is in the B&K #2, and talks about the bell curve and why it is so important.

Trying to selective breed is easy.  Place shrimp together and pray they breed.  The theories about what shrimp, why, and how are the things that can make your head spin while trying to get a handle on it. ;)

I'm always learning and adding to my knowledge.  Secrets will kill shrimping in this country.  To add interest to shrimping, people have to be open to giving information.

I am NO expert on selective breeding by any stretch of the imagination.  However whatever I know- or think I know- I will share freely with anyone who asks. :)

Well. I'm more thinking, and example found earlier in this thread.

How do you make the white whiter on tb's?

- breed with a snowwhite.

I don't think that is just selecting the best looking shrimp and breed them.

How do you really start pulling colors out from a dot?

What are the recessive genes, what are domanant.

How do you track which shrimp carry the genes. Or which shrimp can be breed so they carry the gene.

How do you take a blue and add a bit of green?

How do you do patterns.

How is selective breeding a tb different then neos?

I can get culling the ones that don't have traits and breeding the ones that do, but if that was just it experts who have done it for years wouldn't say they are always learning. There's much mote to it then that, I see little bits and pieces all over; I'm just saying we should take all that and try to keep it in one area.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Maybe we can just have people write up articles and post them in the articles section.  I don't know if we would have enough posts to warrent a whole section just for selective breeding (though I hope eventually we do).

Well. I'm more thinking, and example found earlier in this thread.

How do you make the white whiter on tb's?

- breed with a snowwhite.

I don't think that is just selecting the best looking shrimp and breed them.

How do you really start pulling colors out from a dot?

What are the recessive genes, what are domanant.

How do you track which shrimp carry the genes. Or which shrimp can be breed so they carry the gene.

How do you take a blue and add a bit of green?

How do you do patterns.

How is selective breeding a tb different then neos?

I can get culling the ones that don't have traits and breeding the ones that do, but if that was just it experts who have done it for years wouldn't say they are always learning. There's much mote to it then that, I see little bits and pieces all over; I'm just saying we should take all that and try to keep it in one area.

Chris

There's not really much in culling the TB. Really they are pretty solid and will breed together and produce a variety of different patterns. If you trying to get for example a better blue bolt it could be about the same as culling neos.

-Chris

When you say culling.....that means I just get rid of the ones that are not up to specs?....let's say I've got two nice one out of 10 bad ones....sort of speak... I just get rid of the ones I don't want and keep the 2 I want? ...hopping they'll get me better shrimps?or the one I'm looking for?.......if you keep every single shrimp , then you have to have a lot of room.......and for pretty much nothing because if you keep shrimp with less features ..then what for? sorry for the stupid questions but I want to learn......cheers

From what I have read some people like keeping multiple generations because they still have the possibility of throwing that trait because it is recessive.

When people do this, they call them f1, f2, f3... I believe.

Say you like orange eyes (which I believe is a recessive trait, this is why I want a section or article because I have no idea). You have 1 orange eye, and one black eye... you breed them and get a mix. Cull the blacks eyes but keep them breeding because they all have the orange eye gene hidden. 2 that both have the recessive gene can still throw an orange eye. For this generation one with black eyes no longer have the orange eye trait at all... you would sell those.

This is of course all stuff I am guessing at or inferring and why I say culling is much mot we then keeping the pretty ones. While that a good way to describe it to someone just starting I want to learn a bit more then that.

Chris

When you say culling.....that means I just get rid of the ones that are not up to specs?....let's say I've got two nice one out of 10 bad ones....sort of speak... I just get rid of the ones I don't want and keep the 2 I want? ...hopping they'll get me better shrimps?or the one I'm looking for?.......if you keep every single shrimp , then you have to have a lot of room.......and for pretty much nothing because if you keep shrimp with less features ..then what for? sorry for the stupid questions but I want to learn......cheers

Yea you seperate the ones that you want to keep the best traits of. For example you want to make a pinto shrimp you have to keep a watch on the traits your looking for. Pull out the ones that don't meet your criteria and keep the ones that do. Put them in another tank to sell or do whatever with. Don't put anything back into the main tank as this will just set you back. Does that make more sense?

-Chris

I keep all my Taiwan together because what I read they can throw about anything breeding. Seen a journal where they had 5 blue bolts and off spring was a wine red lol. When I start my pinto tank I will keep only ones I want to breed. Decided on wine reds and OEBT.

-Chris

Just found out that there was an Articles section, I think that is a good place for them. Sorry for not looking harder at all the sections.

• 1 year later...