apistos

Subtletanks91

Hey guys. Aside from my shrimp breeding project I am also breeding two types of apistos. One is the teifasciata. Wich is a natural beautiful colored fish. No one has really bred for morphs or color as far as I know. And I'm getting a 11.4 Mr aqua for fathers day. Lucky me. Haha I'm going to be breeding my hongsloi in there. Which I deem the second most beautiful apisto out there. The males color up really nicely. My tris already have a group fmof fry there raising.

who else likes apistos. Wants apistos. Or has had them. What do you like about them?

Yeah I was thinking about trying to breed a morph out of the trifasciatas. It would definatly take time money and a lot of new blood into fold so there isn't too much inbreeding, the one I have seems to be closer to the wild type because of less coloring. But he is a stunner. I'll see what pops out of there clutch this time.

As for the hongsloi I got the pair about three weeks ago when I sent my other apistos to Han. There was about 20 hongs in the Lfs tank and the guy working there was nice enough to sort through them all until we found what we thought to be a male and female. The perks of being a regular at a Lfs. :) the male showed the smallest amount of red on his belly when I got him, but now he is almost fully colored. It's beautiful to watch them color up. But my fiancé is getting me a new tank for breeding them because she said the tri female was beating the hong female. Which I knew was going to happen.

I've had a double red cacatuoides, but I don't really like the agasazi or cacatuoides there too common in my eyes. I will admit that some of them have stunning color, but there widely dispersed even petsmart has them depending on location. I like the tris because I haven't seen any Lfs keep them. Or had any friend keep them. And the hongsloi are just as uncommon as the tris. What surprised me most was that the Lfs I go to for all my equipment etc when I don't order from Han or online is always out of female tris because the breeders they get them from horde the female ;) lol

As far as I know apistos cannot interbreed however there have been accounts where some have mistakingly. The reason is simple. The males can't really tell which species of female is its own. If you have a female tri and a male hong the male will try to breed with the female only to get denied, the female knows the difference and there usually very picky about who they mate with, there can be one female with two male tris and she'll pick the one she deems worthy. This is what I have noticed. And many of my friends have told me.

In live bearers I have noticed you can inbreed for maybe 4 generations before you need to add new blood. The friend that gave me the trifasciata last October has had fish for years upon years. He said after the 3 generation you want to add new blood or there's going to be health and longevity problems.

He also just got some apisto inkas which I'm jealous there beautiful as well.

Well, you may be in luck in a few months. Haha I believe I have type two because of the massive deep coloration. Type 1 is closer to a wild look.

Once they breed out ill beging selling them. And not at the extreme prices of 20$ per fish, which I what I bought myne for. Though I give my Lfs credit. They don't sell you sick fish, they take the time to weed out every fish in the holding tank to get the ones you want. And they have quality over quantity

• 2 weeks later...

My female hongsloi. She's beautiful and I'm expecting them to color up more when there in this new tank I'm stating up for breeding them. I'm open to suggestions for a cave structure. I know the up aqua cave is really fake but I dunno what else to use.

post-90-0-04666200-1403156899_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-96640500-1403156918_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-12089500-1403156930_thumb.jpg

My male disappeared. -.- as you can imagine I'm not too happy right now. I have to five another. This means driving 45 minutes and hoping they have them. Then hoping that they have a male in the group.

Where did he go you ask, I have no idea. I drained my tanks to look behind the dresser. Looked in my buckets outside. Shoved my hand in the plants trying to force him out of hiding if he is in there. Tried gassing the tank then turning the co2 back down but that was taking to long, in hopes he would emerge to the surface.(not recommend doing this) tomorrow I'm ripping everything out of the tank to try and find the fucker. If not I'll be going to the fish store tomorrow very unhappy.

Lol nah I'm not one of those types. I love having a fun community tank and doing what I want. But I wanted to do something I have never done before which was a biotope. It interested me and finding the info for the plants and the fish was damn near impossible for a reputable source, lol

Well, got my plants in. Sagitarria platyphyllum, echinodorus tenellus, and waiting for my nymphaea lotus to sprout. Keep adding leaves to darken the water and a couple pieces of ial bark. Piled some rock in the back corner got my coconut shell in(yes they are snitch to south and Central America.) and had to do a 100% water change yesterday because my daughter got into the child lock droid and dumped about 3 grams of nitrofurican powder in the tank. Funny thing is I threw an amano in to see where the tank was if it was inhabitBle yet. This amano has survived being gassed, three cycling Amazonia tanks, an accidental dump out of sizzling hot sidewalk, and now, survived what should have been lethal dose of nitro powder to him. He's a survivor. Lol

My Lfs is getting more hongsloi 2 males in Thursday so I have to go pick a new one up

post-90-0-92609200-1403755785_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-63666500-1403755792_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-96237100-1403755798_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...