Amazonia, bad batch?

OK, so I purchased some used Amazonia a while back.  The seller said it was only three months old.  I have now had it in my tanks for exactly 2 months along with Riccia and Moss and also some cheap dither fish for the cycling process. 

My PH readings from day one have NEVER changed!   I have this "used" substrate in three different 10 gallons.  Tank one - PH 3.1, tank two - PH 3.8, tank three - PH 4.1

I'm at a loss.....  I have a PH pen and I keep it calibrated and clean.  I always check other tanks with a known PH for a double check to insure my readings on these Amazonia tanks are good.

So what should I do?  Trash the "used" Amazonia?  I have a brand new bag of it that I have not opened yet and I'm thinking of redoing the tanks with my new bag.

PH 3.1  PH 3.8  PH 4.1 ?

Have you try PH test kit to verify if your PH Pen is incorrect? How long you have PH pen ? Battery ?

I have seen people sell this stuff used but from what I've seen it doesn't do well if moved from tank to tank. Even says on the bag not to move or use again. Not sure if that's what it is, but never know if person as truthful. Also double check your readings get another test kit.

From my experience PH pens are never accurate or reliable. I have a few that don't work properly, just my experience never found a good one.

-Chris

I've used and moved Amazonia from tank to tank when downsizing or swapping out tanks with no problem. No instant tank cycle. Nothing to that effect. With that said. When I first started with Amazonia it drew the ph down to 3.0 and then after two weeks of cycling and using tap water for water changes and then switching to ro water with ss gh, my ph stays at 6.4. I use a ph pen and I calibrate it to my API ph test. Not to the liquids that the ph pen comes with.

I know for a fact my PH pen is giving me correct readings. I also test it against an API liquid kit.

I have about 15 tanks with different buffering substrates and some with not. I know the PH readings on these other tanks and I always test them with the Pen as I check these tanks with the used Amazonia.

I'm gonna just take a loss and toss this substrate. I will use my new bag of amazonia...... and wait another month (or until cycled). I really need these tanks up and running asap.

I bought used Amazonia, probably from the same seller as it was also 3 months old.  I have had no issues with it pH wise, it buffers just fine for me 6.5 pH, GH 5, Kh0 with remineralized RO water.  Now then, what water are you using on the tank?  Tap?  RO?  Is your method you are doing exactly the same as the other tanks?  I use tap water in all my amazonia tanks until the cycle is over and then switch to remineralized RO (after draining all the tap water out).  And I shall assume you mean you test your OTHER tanks against the API liquid kit?  Because API liquid pH kit won't go down to the pH you are talking of.    The pH you are speaking of is dang near close to the pH of vinegar (on your Tank 1).  Something just flat doesn't sound right.

The tanks do have tap water(pH 7.8) in them but the substrate buffers it down after weekly water changes.

My PH tests are good, not sure how many times I have to say it. I test multiple tanks with different kits (liquid and digital) and they all agree on all tanks but the ones with the used Amazonia which of course my liquid kits do not go that low.

That's really odd. My tanks with amazonia like I said wrre in the low 3 but after a couple weeks they bounced up to 6.4 were there supposed to bs. Is there anytthig else in the tank that could be buffering the ph. Ial. Alder cones. Driftwood. Magnolia leaves. Oak leaves. Walnut leaves. Catappa bark. Peat moss.