Advice needed on new tank

Forgot to mentioned.

Sprinkle a little of your Minerax powder around the area they are hanging out now. They will need a lot of minerals to help them survive the environment change. Those minerals are needed during the first two weeks for moulting and regulating salinity of their cells against your tank water (osmotic differences).

Also if you have 3% H2O2 with you, put two drops in your tank. The increase in oxygen level will make them relax (a.k.a get high).

Mineral rock is a scam (someone is going to hammer me for saying this). Your shrimp will not get much from those mineral rocks. Only fresh micronised rock powder then is helpful.

Mosura Gravidas.... errr.... It is make of shrimp shell extract, chitin/chitosan. Supposed to replenish their shell and promote breeding and I doubt it is to relieve stress. A lot of commercial shrimp food claim it helps but I don't see any much differences. However, I do add them into some of my homemade shrimp food. Don't add this in for now, as it contain food or seafood meals, which will increase bio-load. 

LOL!!!! Yes. I'm always more stress than them too.

By the way, your Marimo's position is a problem. Marimo loves low light and when it is in high light area, it will started to show "sun tanned" symptom or hair algae will grow on them and can't be removed. The "sun tanned" symptom is yellowing or browning spot and slowly will die.

To solve this problem, either you move the Marimo to shaded area, reduce the light intensity or put duck weed to shield some of the light.

What do u mean by dosing with trace?

SS and SSS grade price in SG is not significant. Just go for SSS grade. ;)

PRL is rare in SG and the price sold in shops are not worth. Unless you buy from breeder. I know a guy in SG has good PRL, his name is Alvin Chan: http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com/

IMO, don't keep CRS and CBS together. They will cross-breed and you get funny color.

Hopefully, your shrimp colony will flourish. Wish you good luck. ;)

Just be aware when you tank is between 2 to 4 months, you will experience shrimp losing color or mysterious death. That is the time when your substrate lost the trace elements and the waste in the water is not leeching enough trace. This is a period when you may need to dose trace.

By the way, do you find your shrimps look fatter than you bought them?

If yes, it is osmotic shock. Shrimp has problem handling osmotic shock when coming from more salty water to less salty water (they can handle better the other way around). Usually, it will occur with new tank as the salt/ionic level (you can measure it via TDS meter or conductivity probe) is much lower than the matured tank of the shrimp shop or breeder.

That's why it's important to drip acclimate any new shrimp to your tank params.

Does not help if there is a huge difference, been there done that and fail badly. :( Unless you drip for a few days. ;) But it will stress the shrimp, which also can kill the shrimp. (They are really troublesome. LOL!!!)

What I had learned over the years, for the best result, is better to keep my water at higher TDS than shops or breeder. As long as I am not selling my shrimps, this method will be the best and easy.

Lol my tds is 90 now. Going to raise it. Wondering what to use for that.

Do look slightly fatter. One of the fat shrimp in the photo was happily consuming the dead body. Lol had to quickly remove it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That's why it's important to drip acclimate any new shrimp to your tank params.

wanted to do a couple of hours drip. One hour into it my drip adaptor got disconnected and filled the water bowl up in seconds! lol no choice had to put the shrimps into the tank straight after that.

Does not help if there is a huge difference, been there done that and fail badly. :( Unless you drip for a few days. ;) But it will stress the shrimp, which also can kill the shrimp. (They are really troublesome. LOL!!!)

What I had learned over the years, for the best result, is better to keep my water at higher TDS than shops or breeder. As long as I am not selling my shrimps, this method will be the best and easy.

what tds are you having for crs?