Do you all believe in spring bringing berried shrimp?

Ok shrimpsters do you really believe the shrimp know its spring and thats why my shrimp are berrying up like there's no tomorrow? How the hell can they possibly know this?  Can someone please explain this to me?:cigar: 

I believe it, based on experience.

No activity all winter, but as soon as spring hit ive got multiple berries in every tank.

Ive heard people say its got something to do with the barometric pressure, but I have no idea if thats true, or even logical.

I absolutely have to agree with this. Three years I have monitored this culture. Spring, Summer, and Fall I usually have continuous breeding and when winter months come the breeding is cut by 3/4. Not sure at this point why, but I have to believe something outside the aquarium is causing this phenomenon. 

Interesting. I am surprised no one has found a scientific study of what exactly causes this yet (I would think someone with the equipment would have conducted such tests by now) . The same phenomenon can be found with some fish that won't breed no matter what spawning triggers or water conditions are manipulated, some just won't breed until it's the time of the season. I think even attempts with the use of hormones have failed on harder to breed species of fish.

Where are the biology experts? So are we all in agreement that this is a fact?  If I don't change the temperature or lighting how do these shrimp know its spring time in a controlled environment?:geek: Answers please from the experts 

100 percent believe this spring hit and 5 shrimp berried in a week in one tank and one of my tanks (OEBT) that have NEVER bred after almost a year finally berried up the same week.

5 hours ago, avonsurfernc said:

Where are the biology experts? So are we all in agreement that this is a fact?  If I don't change the temperature or lighting how do these shrimp know its spring time in a controlled environment?:geek: Answers please from the experts 

I'm no expert but animals can tell when the earth shifts during each equinox.  It also effects the gravitational pull of the moon which animals react to as well.  Furred animals get their winter coat by the lessening of daylight not by cooler temperatures as some believe. 

Maybe it's just in there nature that this is there time to reproduce, I know that the wild Mollies and Guppies come out in the hundreds in my creek mating. Also bunches of berries Ghost shrimp. And a lot of birthdays at my school during this time ?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

'No natural light'  I am still trying to explain this.  The only window in the basement is on the south side.  The distance between two story houses is about 12 feet.  The window is tiny and is fully covered with 3" fiberglass insulation with paper backing.  My Cryptocoryne plants are on the north wall in the bottom row of tanks.  They flower in April and October. I am convinced that plants, fish, shrimp, and everything else that survives in the basement knows what season it is. 

Regards,

Chris

23 hours ago, avonsurfernc said:

Nope my tank is in the basement no natural light. Temperature steady year round at 73 in the tank

Temperature this time of year is not stable... :)

I can see in my tanks that at noon temp raise to 24c and at night temp lower to 22.5c.

Maybe is something else but i believe that is from temp...Sullawesi shrimp dont do this... :)

I keep my tanks at steady temperature throughout the year, and I am still experiencing this.

One guess is the ability to sense atmospheric pressure but obviously that is very difficult for a hobbyist to confirm. There are other things like magnetic field, radiation, etc. that animals can sense.

my temps are the same all year.

they been breeding all through winter.Kolobok_gym.gif

By the way shrimpers can you all notify the moderators and tell them to allow me back on the site. They kicked me off and I'm coming in through the back door. Can we get a vote ? Who wants me back in the forum? Legally ?

Help a brother out![emoji1306]

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 0:55 AM, newellcr said:

'No natural light'  I am still trying to explain this.  The only window in the basement is on the south side.  The distance between two story houses is about 12 feet.  The window is tiny and is fully covered with 3" fiberglass insulation with paper backing.  My Cryptocoryne plants are on the north wall in the bottom row of tanks.  They flower in April and October. I am convinced that plants, fish, shrimp, and everything else that survives in the basement knows what season it is. 

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

No need natural light, only bloom ... surprising my first flower

thumbnail_IMG_7504.jpg