New tds meter

I finally got a digital tds meter;) just checked its calibration, and its pretty close to perfect. My tap water has only 16 tds! Explains my crazy low gh (1-2) and my none existent kh (0-1).

Can some one link recommended tds for neos and for crystals? I think im right on for my neo only tank (104); and need a wc or two on the neo/crystal section (121). Its great to finally see where my tds are, rather than using nitrates as an indicator!

Hi featherblue,

I just saw your tap water TDS is reading as 16, which I never heard off. Did you or municipal performed excessive filtering or your new TDS meter is gaga?

By the way, to keep shrimp successfully, you need to have correct level of huge list of nutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulphate, phosphate, molybdate, iron, manganese and so on... ... However, TDS only tells you the conductivity of the water and does not tell you how much of these nutrients are in the water. Therefore, reading TDS maybe just as inaccurate as reading nitrate. For your case, getting a General Hardness (GH) test kit will be a better choice.

If your tap water is really only TDS 16, then I will suggest you treat it just like RO water and add RO replenishing salts to it. For Neo, 6 to 7dGH is the best. it is better to get those powder type RO salts. Those liquid type will lower the pH till 5.8 to 6.0 if you try to add till 6 to 7 dGH; Neos prefer pH 6.5 to 7.0.

In the US, neos do better in 7+.

Yeah, I think we talk about this in another thread. In this case, there are only two type of salts I know are suitable, which is Saltyshrimp GH/KH+ and Seachem Equilibrium. Any liquid salts or chloride-based salts without bicarbonate buffer, the pH will definitely below 6.5.

I got a tds meter to get more info on my tap waters low gh and kh (1 gh and 0kh out of tap).

Ive been keeping my tanks at 0gkh, 6dgh and 6.6 ph....the tds meter was the last piece i needed

Ask away...and ive got that curiosity bug too:-)

No idea what Portland's doing as far as water filtration. ....Im in a rental; and I wonder if there's some sort of filter on the house water. The kh and gh have been stable for a year and a half ive been testing. I actually added baking soda for kh in my community tank, kept having ph crashes.

I see. I think they may have a whole house/building filtration system. Seems like it is beneficial for you to keep shrimp. Lucky you. ;)

One advise to share with you about the TDS. Don't get too bothered by TDS value like a lot of shrimp keepers do. Your shrimps can survive from 80 to 500 TDS; it is not like the salinity/gravity of your salt water tank. Thus, don't try to adjust the TDS to the "perfect" 150 to 200 obsessively, just let your tank stabilise the TDS itself (frequent water change and consistent nutrient dosage will achieve a stable TDS automatically). Or else, you will kill the shrimp due to too much fluctuation of water parameters. When I first started keeping shrimps years ago, I embarked on this "perfect" value journey before (this is the value published on almost 9 out of 10 articles on the web) and end up, suffered horribly.

One of the most important things ive learned from my sw is never make a water parameter change fast!

I getting a rodi and needed the meter for mixing remineralized water...were moving and i know the water at the new location will need some heavy filtration. I don't want to shock my shrimp with the change to remineralized water...so im starting water changes with remineralized water to make the adjustment slowly. But knowing the tank tds will give me a point to match for the least stress

• 3 weeks later...

What TDS testers are you all using? Looking to get one (preferably from amazon, maybe) but don't know the best to get for my little amount of spending money

-Duffy

Search EZ tds meter on Amazon think they are 12$ shipped.

-Chris

Yeah.  I've used the ubber expensive pens and the cheapies and they are all about the same for me.  Now I just buy the cheapie pens.  If I were to go expensive, I would buy a nice palmsized digital unit

Search EZ tds meter on Amazon think they are 12$ shipped.

-Chris