Amaira, amazon wolf fish

Subtletanks91

I've been watching Ivan mikolji video expedition on YouTube, and one fish they are trying to get a video of caught my eye, and I knew I seen it before. Jeremy Wayne ended up catching one of these silent stackers on his show monster fish. This fish is amazingly Jurassic looking and probably has survived for thousands of year using it's hunting techniques and guile.

I would love to have one of these in a 250g tank. But why and how is this guy keeping it in such a small freaking tank. People like this put shame to the name aquarist

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xq7EfHBX0xA

Subtle,

Nice video. I have never seen them.  I agree that lots keep fish in inadequate size tanks . At one time Pacu  were in vogue as babies . Everyone knew they got huge but regardless people purchased them for their 10 gallon starter tanks .

Imagine thousands died this way .

I actually caught a few in a canal in Key west in the early 90s.

Yeah it's really sad. I mean I understand buying a pacu and putting it in a ten gallon until it reaches 4 inches and moving up tank size.

When I bought my managuense it was 2inches long, within 6 months it grew to 8" and I moved it from my 20 long to a 55g and it grow almost to a foot long and I had to re home him with someone who could afford a tank big enough for him. He loved crickets though that was his favorite food. And when I pointed at him because he was being mean to the convicts in the tank he went behind his driftwood he was the most intelligent fish I had. And gorgeous too,

Oh, I would believe it. Lol I've seen the tv shows on florid as distinct wildlife variation.

But enlighten me haha

I know some lake in New York had snake heads in it. They bombed the lake trying to kill them all and there is still in there.

If it's tropical it's here that's just fish, the should change the name from sun shine state, to invasive state. I've seen it first hand my only word I can use to describe it is unreal.  

Hurricane's brought thing's here before human's did. Florida is secondary rain forest, Also the Everglades puts of a large percentage of the world oxygen form alga equal to the rainforest oxygen production. The same percentage of water humans consist of is the same percentage as water on planet earth is 75%. The earth emits an 8mhz frequency the only other thing that emits this frequency is the human brain. Just a little enlightenment.

Wow that is very interesting. Thank you for that it's bit,

Yeah hurricanes brought stuff before humans I do know that for fact.

I wish I could have a tank and a permit for some dwarf channa sp

Black piranha

And amaira

subtle,

We have managuense here and as a whole I find the south and central American cichlids very underrated as far "being smart" .

I have an old pair of Oscars in "pond" (250 gallon home depot pvc pond) in the yard but watching the wild cichlids for years in same

canals you notice that they learn .

Some canals no one fish's because the cichlids will not strike at lures nor live bait even if dangled in front of them .

High,

The non native fish are here to stay as you know they have been here since fish became a hobby . The only fish that have

trouble are the peacock bass . There are plenty but the killer cold spell years back took a massive toll on them .

The other exotics recovered or recovering but the peacock bass did not bounce back as one would expect.

Country,

I used to fish snakeheads by a certain large canal in Broward county which might be where your brother in law goes . They are here to stay but interestingly enough for such a tough fish not as spread all over Miami as most exotics.

I have to agree, south and Central American cichlids are among the smartest. Angelfish, oscars, convicts, apistos, pacu, managuense, amaria.... The ones I have kept, convicts, apistos, rams, oscars, angelfish, discus, pacu, managuense all learned who I was when I was doing cleaning before I even went over to the tank to do them they started swimming to the opposite side of the tank I was going to be working on.

They are intelligent creatures, and most people don't understand our obsession with the hobby or why we would keep such big fish.