So let's get this sub topic started guys

What is your favorite filter for shrimp tanks.

And if you use canister or hob filters what media'd do you use to keep stable parameters?

Personally I use a corner air driven filter I got from Han, and a hob. My hob has a 30ppi sponge, matrix bio media, a polish pad, and fluval clear max for nitrate removal.

I use dual sponge filters in all tanks, and two of them in my fish tanks. Plus a Penguin BioWheel 200 HOB

on all tanks too. I use a stainless steel intake cover on my intakes that were made by Han, and they

are fry proof. Plus with the BioWheel 200, there is plenty of room for extra media behind the Penguin Filter,

like BioBalls, K1, xtra filter, peat pellet filters, etc. I have gotten them so that are all super quiet. The water

level has to be just right, but once you get it, then they are very quiet. My air pump make more noise than

the HOB, and my air pumps are pretty quiet.

I also use a Aqua 50 Powerhead with a water polisher filter on it and a small UV Sterilizer. I run both of

those for two or three days a couple times a month in all of my tanks.

I keep my light raised 5" above the tank, and so far like that, plants and moss are doing just fine, and I

don't seem to combat algae as much as I used to. I also have one small otto in each tank and a few

Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the substrate clean.

I use an HOB, with prefilter sponge on intake, matrix, foam and Purigen media. The circulation makes me feel better, and I think the Otos like the current, although I guess the shrimp probably don't care for it. They love the sponge, though!

I use a hob for flow as well. Plus the extra bio media for processing ammonia always helps if there's a spike somehow.

But I do like the fact of sponge filters ease. They just unnerve me because there's not much water flow coming from them.

I also use Hamburg Matten Filters on most my tanks.  They are ice since you don't have to deal with having a sponge in there that gets in the way when your trying to catch out shrimp.  The shrimp will still run to the corners though which is annoying but not as bad as a normal sponge filter.

I also use Hamburg Matten Filters on most my tanks. They are ice since you don't have to deal with having a sponge in there that gets in the way when your trying to catch out shrimp. The shrimp will still run to the corners though which is annoying but not as bad as a normal sponge filter.

where did you get the foam? can only really find that Swiss tropical but they want 20$ for a small piece. found a lot of foam but still unsure if it's safe. just wondering what your thoughts were.

-Chris

For 10 gallon I like my aqua clear 20 and double sponge filter. If I where to do a 20 gallon long rack I'd go ugf canister with matrix , purigen/air driven sponge combo. I've heard hamburg matten filter are all the rage in Europe, I do like to experiment if I did try hamburg matten style filter I'd try this http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/cornerfilter-shop/ also this is a good place for those who want to try hmf filtration.

I also use HMF on all my tanks with HOB or Canister fill them up with Biohome(i use these in koi pond also) and Purigen.

HMF 2"/30ppi and 45ppi.

Do you guys using air line or powerhead ?

I guess if it lasts for a very long time it is more cost effective,in the long run. I found the breakdown on angels plus regarding cost and long term use. Would be a lot startup cost though. I can buy 6 double sponge filters for half the price of one of these guys.

-Chris

I,have been using a UGF on a few tanks. Supposed to,make ADA soil less active but it keeps,my water crystal clear. I have 2 double sponge filters, ac 50 and a ugf on a 20l Taiwan bee tank. Clearest water I have.

-Chris

Have anyone used these? I'm thinking this would work great for a purigen reactor in tanks with just sponge filters.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/box_filters.html

-Chris

Are there replacement sponges to use for the double sponge filters? Possibly something more Saturday and less soft? I don't like the sponges myne came with which is part of the reason I stopped using it.

I use Eheim Canister filters with the stainless steel mesh guards on all my shrimp tanks. Works fantastic, better circulation, better biological filtration/surface area, great all around.

I use Eheim Canister filters with the stainless steel mesh guards on all my shrimp tanks. Works fantastic, better circulation, better biological filtration/surface area, great all around.

wouldn't be bad unless you have 20 tanks lol.

-Chris

I use Penguin filters on my shrimp 20 gallon tanks but since planted tanks I remove the bio wheel because after a few months it gets stuck plus not needed .

I also put a chemi -pure or purigen in each one and changed every 5 months .

Haha I agree Taylor. I have 6 canister filters currently.

I would need 30 lol. Just small ones, My large tanks are eheims 2080. love them! going to sumps on everything on my discus tanks. easier and will do a whole rack on the same.

-Chris