I use an aquatop filter on my 10 gallon on my 46 gallon shrimp tank I use a sponge filter and then I have a cascade 1000 for tanks up to 100 gallons.  What are these mesh filter guards you guys keep talking about?  I need some so HAN please contact me!

Bryce, have you seen the up aqua moss pads. Ceramic base with a ss mesh top you smash moss I between them?

The ones I asked Han to make me are just a circle of ss mesh with a tab you fold down in the back put it on a suction cup and slam it on the wall. It's a moss ledge ^.^

Sorry it took me so long to see this, I got mine at swiss tropical.  It was at least 3 years ago now and I think I ended up buying a couple large sheets and had him cut them down to size or something.  I bought around 20 of them I think.

where did you get the foam? can only really find that Swiss tropical but they want 20$ for a small piece. found a lot of foam but still unsure if it's safe. just wondering what your thoughts were.

-Chris

No!!! There my preciousssss!!!

Haha if you want to see an example though go to my thread in the journal section and loo at my photos there should be one or two photos I used the up aqua moss pads with some airline holders.

To be honest Jaime gets the shout out for the idea. She got my head going with her suction cup cholla wood pieces. Then I made like 10 of my own because I has so many different moss and Buce in the tenk I needed to have ground for Buce, and walls for moss lol

Anywayssssss. This can be discussed on a new thread or my journal haha

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of sumps of you can do it and custom plumbing. But after that I love eheims 2213 2215 2217. The. For hob ac and the new fluval c series. Sponge filters I like standing cylinder like sponge ones not the stick to side ones.

I'd like to try a diy ugf system in my next tank on a canister, doesn't seem like a plate style air driven would be that effective. Maybe hooked to a power head with a spray bar could be another choice.

Chris,

I have used box filters back in the dark ages when Marine tanks were UG filter and Box filter with Carbon and floss.  They do work and work well but take up room in the tank and look unslightly .

DET,

Eheims canisters are the best .  I remember when they came out with their HOB filters and they were okay but not like the canisters. I still have an Eheim 2217 model which works great.

High5,

I find that for the amount of bio that an UG gives you, You are better off with HOB .  Plus UG you have to siphon the junk in the gravel or after awhile the junk becomes to much for the bacteria

I do use the Tom's mini canister too in each section of the tank with their sponge filter, and they seem to work well, plus

cleaning them in aquarium water is easy and putting them back in keep the flow right. I keep a plant in front of the

the flow, but it seems like the shrimp like it. Some hang out directly in front of the flow on the plant, so it must not

be too much for them. Considering this is only a 9 x 9 x 8 inch section. The sponge, an air stone, and Tom's mini canister seems

to work well. But I do have a BioWheel 200 HOB in the middle section where there are no animals too.

We use quite a lot of different filters with each tank. On the smaller shrimp nanos we use a Zoo Med mini canister, Fluval internal, Aquaclear 20's/50's, and are trying out the Red Devil. For our larger tanks we use 2217, 2262, and Marineland HOT for water polishing.

We use quite a lot of different filters with each tank. On the smaller shrimp nanos we use a Zoo Med mini canister, Fluval internal, Aquaclear 20's/50's, and are trying out the Red Devil. For our larger tanks we use 2217, 2262, and Marineland HOT for water polishing.

How is the Red Devil? I Found some on ebay for 19$ and free shipping.

High5,

I find that for the amount of bio that an UG gives you, You are better off with HOB . Plus UG you have to siphon the junk in the gravel or after awhile the junk becomes to much for the bacteria

Louie ugf in shrimp tank's get tore down cleaned and redone about every 12 to 18 month's, I add bacteria every time I water change to keep the bacterial colony's healthy. Ugf in shrimp tanks serve duel purpose as a bio filter and to stabilize PH quickly when preforming a water change due to the fact water is being drawn through the active substrate, for less sensitive shrimp it's not necessary. For Tibee's, PBL and SSS crs/cbs a little extra insurance never hurt's.

I'd like to try a diy ugf system in my next tank on a canister, doesn't seem like a plate style air driven would be that effective. Maybe hooked to a power head with a spray bar could be another choice.

I have seen something like those.

Anyone have any thoughts on a rack system of a few bare bottom tanks or something inert. Then use a sump with ADA soil and something. Sponge filters and such. Might save some on ADA soil and could keep the tanks spotless. This would Be a rack of the same shrimps for selective breeding. I know the cons of central filtration well.

I have seen something like those.

Anyone have any thoughts on a rack system of a few bare bottom tanks or something inert. Then use a sump with ADA soil and something. Sponge filters and such. Might save some on ADA soil and could keep the tanks spotless. This would Be a rack of the same shrimps for selective breeding. I know the cons of central filtration well.

What about half substrate with reverse ugf system? The return back into ugf, place the out flow in the back, so water flow's back into the tank through the ugf up through the substrate then sucked up by the out flow then runs down in to the sump. Seem like less maintenance because all the yuck goes to the sump, so in theory you would just have to clean the sump maybe a little tank clean here and there.

Its a great little filter thus far, it has great flow and turnover (its on a 6 gallon cube, so...). Media trays are a bit tricky to seperate, but nothing we did not expect. Its a decent little HOT canister like filter for a decent price. Thus far I'd recommend it. We tossed the carbon and added quite a bit more bio media, but even name brands always seem to go very light with biomedia out of the box. I really like the spraybar on it, though it limits wher you can mount it on the tank.