I actually prefer to use Aquaclear 20 filters along with dual sponge filters and I do run eheim canister filters on two of my tanks. The canisters use all of the original media that comes with them and the Aquaclears run with the sponge, bio media and Purigen in them.

I bought the Cobalt Aquatics E-X-T aquarium canister filter.  It allows water to still flow in a loop after disconnecting and does away with those stupid leaking O rings.

AND- in theory- it would allow daisy chaining for more media. :)

I haven't used it yet, because I bought it for a TB tank I'm slowly getting parts for.

High5,

Why tear it down at all just do a good gravel siphoning .

Active soil only last 18 months if your lucky b4 it starts to lose is buffering ability. You can extend it even longer by adding fluvic acids, What I was trying to say is by the time the ugf starts to get clogged 24 months, by that time the soil has to be replaced. I've had ugf system go for 4 -5 years no problem. There is more pro's than con's to use them in a shrimp tank, we will see how it preforms over time.

• 1 month later...

Asian style has it that you need to have super powerful filtration. It's common to see more than 2 canisters chained.

I tend to do it the other way though. From the beginning of my shrimp keeping days I didn't think shrimp need super powerful filtration. Shrimps eat very little, I feed a tank of 300 shrimps less than one adult angel fish. So if they don't eat that much, there's no source of ammonia to be concerned, right? Or I'm missing something.

With the 30 tanks in my shrimproom, the ones with canisters (2211, 2213, Fluval 205, Up Aqua EX120, ...etc)  actually don't do as well as the ones with HOBs (AC 50/70). And the 8 tanks I set up a few month ago with just one double sponge ($2 from ebay), shrimps are breeding just fine in them. Some of these (5.5G with one cheap double sponge) already have over 50 shrimps from about 10 shrimps starting 2-3 months ago, including OEBTs and CRS Flowerhead.

Find YOUR best trusted method and don't worry if it's very different from others. I have to go the cheaper route because of the number of tanks I have and it's been working for me.

Upgrading my fluval c3 to a finnex 360 finally getting better filtration in my tank that won't take a bunch of inside room up. Now the challenge is putting it on the side of the tank....the back doesn't have enough room I bolted the stand to the wall.... Without my daughter messing with it, since she decide to mess with everything else,,,, wash her hands in the tank,,,and three toothbrushes I have had to throw away..... My shrimp are very hardy.

Jemma??

My shrimp are pretty hardy for being a sensitive type of shrimp. They gone through nitrate spikes, toothbrushes. Hands. Etc etc. and it's not like I let her do it she does it when I'm not looking, after I set it up again I'm going to get some glad cut for it custom