Blue cardinal!!!

So was browsing my tank and spotted this guy, has anyone seen a blue cardinal??? It is really strange never seen it before.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you guys can see It's Def from my cardinal tank

Posted Image

-Chris

Don't get too excited yet. heh  Wait for it to mature first to see if the color changes or stays.  Most any time you read about blue in cardinals it is from them being stressed, however also there is almost nothing really written about them- so it may or may not change as it gets older.

It is neat looking though. :)

Hi Taylor,

Not to put cold blanket on you. That's a red cardinal. Cardinal has two main type, one is red-based and the other is blue-based. The red-based one will give you those bright chilli red and the blue-based on will give you the deep purplish-red or maroon-red.

However, things may change and you will not know. I have a strange looking orange teenage shrimp in my Sulawesi tank and I have yet to identify why it looks that way.

:):)

Well, even if that happens, you have the start of two strains now. ;)

I know right it's cool at least

-Chris

• 7 months later...

Any update on the blue cardinal? Did it remain blue? I also found an all blue one in my tank yesterday. The one I found is maybe a month old.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Blue Poso's and that's not a Blue Poso....they have an orangey head and tail and blue body.  That's a morph of the Cardinals...sometimes it is caused by stress, so check your tank parameters.

When I first got mine they were a very dark purplish color and some blueish, but once they settled in the tank they turned red again.  I have seen on the Web (can't remember where) that someone is now breeding blue Cardinals...might be in Germany though.

Cool looking shrimp.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I have a small 6 gallons aquarium with Cardinals only for about 2 years now, and yes I've noticed that when the lights are off they change colors, kind of transparent, but after a few minutes under the light they start getting a solid color. By looking at the picture the blue is not that solid so this might be the reason, could it be that in his leds he has blue ones? I'm very interesting in having an update!

Regards,

I also have a blue guy in my tank. He's at breeding age and I've been trying to find him the last couple of days so that I can get him in the breeder box. He knows I'm on the hunt! :phew:

Are you going to selectively breed yours?

post-89-0-96828300-1428725600_thumb.jpg

So, I wanted to know more about this, so all week I was looking at my Cardinals (around 25 of them) and one morning I was able to spot one blue!! As soon as I turn the lights on, it started to get their particular red color (it took it like 3-5 minutes). So, I was right they changed color depending on the lighting. I tried to take a picture but my phone was not focusing. I will try another day.

Also if you notice they have spots which can be blue, so there must be somekind of natural quimical in their body that generates this bluewish colors.

So, this does not mean that he's not right. Maybe his shrimp has something that prevents it to get back to its "real" color.

By the way, I'm planning to get some Harlequins, anyone knows anything about their care? I'm planning to use RO/DI water with 8.5 Sulawesi minerals.

Greetings to all!