Tupfel shrimp

6 hours ago, Vshrimp said:

Heard you can get green apple shrimps after generations of back crossing and so forth. Not my pic btw

8b690cc2dfc70843d12bb2ae45300515.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That's a cool looking shrimp

So, this ties back to an earlier discussion of shrimp genetics.

I believe that Caridina Serrata(Tupfel Shrimp) are colored via a single gene.

(I tried to find pictures with sources if possible, but it was a bit difficult)

So, you have 4 colors I know of:
Green(green apple)

apple-300x200.jpg

Yellow(tangerine tiger)

medium_image_2.jpg?lastModified=14167693

Blue(aura blue)

Aura-Blue-Raritaet.jpg

red

Caridina%20Serrata%20Sp.%20Red%20Tupfel%

Plus the wild type(Caridina Serrata)

neocaridina_sp_tuepfel4.jpg

I think the idea is that  green is a mix of the blue and yellow genes. That might be true. Or, green might just be a 3rd gene.

Then again, I don't really know if any of this is true AT ALL. The one item in favor of the single gene theory is that I have never seen a poorly colored C. Serrata. They all seem to "breed true". Then again, when someone has shown a picture of a cross between a Tangerine and a Blue on this forum, they looked like a "wild type".

That doesn't bode well for the "single gene theory". In fact, I am a bit perplexed. Anyone else have any ideas.

They are pretty interesting shrimp, if I am being honest. 

I might need to try my hand at breeding them next. I was going to go back to babaulti, but NO ONE seems to have green babaulti anymore.

Oooh.... Like the apple green. Did not know they came in that color, or the red. *sigh* and I really don't have room for new projects after this summer...

=^._.^=

Some people have said that the orange is a naturally occurring variant. I have heard the same rumor of red tiger shrimp. I dont know if it is true.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Orange is found in the wild; same with aura blues.  

Red tigers are can be found in the wild as well and even black tiger;  Chris Lukhaup posted a posted photo of a Black tiger shrimp he photograph in the early 2000's.  When i asked him about he said he didn't believe it was selectively bred but rather, it came from a shipment of wild caught tigers shrimp.

I currently have colonies of several wild shrimp species; Tupfel, Tigers, Laos mountain tigers, CBS;  All with the except of the CBS exhibit a very wide range of colours

I searched for some pictures and was very surprised. Wild Tigers seem to be very dynamic in coloration.

Here is a video from Chris Lukhaup

Video Link on Youtube

That one tiger definitely looks like a black tiger shrimp.

Edited by pucksr
adding video link