Killi eggs???

Subtletanks91

I'm doing everything wrong, because I'm learning and lazy. lol

When they hatched I transferred them to a 2.5 with seeded sponge filter on its side. and half water filled.  I have substrate and java moss.  I also have fungus from feeding bbs.  I transferred some rotifers from the shrimp tank over, too.

Some breeders just put teh fry in green water and walk away for a week.  I wanted to see any growth.

That male is a beaut.

not least killies are they?

once my apisto breeding is over in mt 25 orrr I get another tank I'm going ro do killies. There just something mysterious about them and how they survive and thrive. Same with discus ita just amazing

no they are blue fin killie. the 3rd pic i was lucky to catch her dropping eggs. they are an egg scatter so when breeding its best to use several small tanks and move them every so often to give fry a chance to grow without being eaten

nope like any other egg scatterer just move the adults and let the babies grow. they are found all over the southern us from florida to tx. i have got eggs a couple times from buying plants from a lfs. every time i have a random fish pop up it is a blue fin. i even found these guys at walmart lol. came in with ghost shrimp. there are a couple people on aquabid that sell them. check the us native section on there. 

Has anyone done these?? Golden Wonders.  http://www.fishandtips.com/displaydb.php?ID=53

Normal Golden Wonder

ff9vgo.jpg

They say they are super easy in a species tank and there is a red variant as well. I have ordered some eggs from aquabid for the reds. they stay at the top of the water mostly and they are awesome jumpers, so be aware. But they are beautiful in breeding colors and its a very short incubation in water. They will eat egg/fry, And they take a while to get spawning done. They lay small numbers daily, instead of one spray and done.  

We used to sell these when I worked for Petsmart. They spawned in our tanks, they spawned in community tanks of our customers, etc. Very few survived as they were eated, but they are a really pretty fish and a nice fish in a community tank. 

Red Variant Male

106cwsm.jpg

I splurged lol. I bided on one 6x species on aquabid. And one that was very pretty. No idea if I'll Win them but I want them for a project later this year. I'm actually thinking about raising them in a tub outside and getting them to breed in that. It's warm in the bay until about November.

What's the best food for them living wise. Bbs, white worms, vinegar eels. Mis quite larvae. Springtails. Gammarus

post-90-0-68036600-1404968927_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-16205200-1404968934_thumb.jpg

Um....well... breeding them in a tub will be hard to do.

You see the real pretty ones on the left?  Those are annuals.  Which means you have to collect the eggs on moist peat moss and store them in a container for a couple months before adding them to water to rehydrate them again to hatch.  And if they some don't hatch the first try, then store for another couple weeks and try again, etc.

Now the clown killie on the right is NOT an annual and is a mop spawner, so the eggs are fine left in the water. Once they lay eggs, 2 weeks later, you should have fry. :)

So I lost those two Bryce. But I did win austrolebias nigripinnis sagastome, and nothobranchius korthausae.

I was annuals. Haha. I have a plan for breeding them in a tub actually. I'm going to have bottle in the bottom cut in half with pest moss in them. They should only go for the pest moss and not the bare bottom in theory. Correct.m

Well, you can still do that.  You would just be buying eggs, hatching, raising and selling.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Keep in mind supposedly 1:5 hatch/make it to adulthood.  So you would have to adjust your price for that, housing, and food.

Supposedly in 5 weeks they are Mature enough to breed, but have a lifespan of around 6 months to 1 year.  Some people are fine with that, others are not.

They are kinda like shrimp, the higher the temp, the faster/shorter their lifespan.