Shrimp King Sulawesi GH+/KH+

mayphly

I've been wanting to try this stuff for a while now and finally ordered some. I figured some of you might be interested in the results I got.

I just received my order from Pro Shrimp in the UK. This product is manufactured by Dennerle. I haven't seen it available in the states yet. From what I understand is that with this product you do not need to use co2 or heat it up to break down the minerals. That sold me on it right there. The only thing that would make it even better for me is if it came in a liquid form. But, hey!! who's complaining! This stuff is great!

As I'm typing this I'm also doing a 10% water change on my 20g Sulawesi cardinal tank. Well... 21/2 gallon water change. Close enough!

I'm using 21/2 gallons of RO water to start. RO water TDS is 0. 

I mixed in 1/2 tsp ( Tad x 2 ) which gave me TDS 160 KH 4 GH 7 PH aprox 7.5

I bumped up my TDS to 180 which raised my PH to aprox 7.6. The GH and KH remained the same using API test kits.

Good news is that there is no mess ending up in my tank. No cloudy water either.  The stuff I was using before left undissolved minerals in the tank which left an unsightly mess in the tank.

My current tank parameters are a bit on the high side and I feel my Sulawesi could be breeding better. I hope this helps.

(I better grab a page out of ARK's book)! LOL!

Cheers!

IMG_8392.JPG

45 minutes ago, slycat929 said:

I would rather wait a week. Prices are high and can get just about everything from the UK cheaper including shipping. http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/

What about ss 8.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS 8.5 doesn't dissolve well. I've heard even with co2 you will still end up with undissolved minerals in your tank. I was heating mine up as directed. With SK minerals it's smooth sailing. :)

SS 8.5 doesn't dissolve well. I've heard even with co2 you will still end up with undissolved minerals in your tank. I was heating mine up as directed. With SK minerals it's smooth sailing. [emoji4]

The only one available at the moment was salty shrimp 8.5. Trying the co2 method still a lot of undissolved powder 24 hrs past.

I am really confused or would say still haven't figured out how to use these mineralizers to maintain the tank parameters once setup. Would really appreciate some help and guidance. Sorry in case I'm high jacking the thread.

Firstly if I'm confused with TDS and µS (Mikrosiemens).
To what I ve been told and calculated using the Hanna combi test kit my TDS was roughly half my µS measurements and what I've read is that TDS is made up of additives, waste and other stuff dissolved in the water.

A friend in Germany who keep shrimps and most people in Germany ( not being super specific with this) use µS to measure their water instead of TDS and says if gets the water to 250µS for example his GH 4 and KH 1 and usually is ideal for bee shrimps.

To what I understand the mineralizer adjusted the Gh or/ and kh value giving you those parameters, doesn't the waste and other dissolved stuff effect these parameters ?

If I were to set up a new tank it's is straight forward to reach the desired parameter add the recommend gms of powder to x ltrs of water, I would do a bit less coz soil or hard scape could influence the reading.
My confusion arises when my Gh drops to 3 due to water changes then how can I adjusted the balance 1 Gh should I prepare the mix for the total tank volume to be raised by 1 in a bucket and add it to the directly in the tank with the shrimp in it via drip filling and how do I calculate the amount to be added correctly and what effect would it have on my TDS and µS (Mikrosiemens) readings once added.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong and thank you for your help in advance [emoji51]

• 1 month later...

The only one available at the moment was salty shrimp 8.5. Trying the co2 method still a lot of undissolved powder 24 hrs past.

I am really confused or would say still haven't figured out how to use these mineralizers to maintain the tank parameters once setup. Would really appreciate some help and guidance. Sorry in case I'm high jacking the thread.

Firstly if I'm confused with TDS and µS (Mikrosiemens).
To what I ve been told and calculated using the Hanna combi test kit my TDS was roughly half my µS measurements and what I've read is that TDS is made up of additives, waste and other stuff dissolved in the water.

A friend in Germany who keep shrimps and most people in Germany ( not being super specific with this) use µS to measure their water instead of TDS and says if gets the water to 250µS for example his GH 4 and KH 1 and usually is ideal for bee shrimps.

To what I understand the mineralizer adjusted the Gh or/ and kh value giving you those parameters, doesn't the waste and other dissolved stuff effect these parameters ?

If I were to set up a new tank it's is straight forward to reach the desired parameter add the recommend gms of powder to x ltrs of water, I would do a bit less coz soil or hard scape could influence the reading.
My confusion arises when my Gh drops to 3 due to water changes then how can I adjusted the balance 1 Gh should I prepare the mix for the total tank volume to be raised by 1 in a bucket and add it to the directly in the tank with the shrimp in it via drip filling and how do I calculate the amount to be added correctly and what effect would it have on my TDS and µS (Mikrosiemens) readings once added.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong and thank you for your help in advance [emoji51]

Hi

Can you tell me how you dissolved the powder via the heating method. Co2 method didn't work. Thank you.

Hi

Can you tell me how you dissolved the powder via the heating method. Co2 method didn't work. Thank you.

As I mentioned I could never get it to totally dissolve. I tried boiling RO water in a Pyrex glass while mixing SS in with it. Unfortunately it never dissolved.

As I mentioned I could never get it to totally dissolve. I tried boiling RO water in a Pyrex glass while mixing SS in with it. Unfortunately it never dissolved.

Oh ok. I read online some guys mix it and pour it in directly. Some heat it and leave it for a week with a heater then add the whole lot. I don't think it dissolves completely.

Just a non related question. Do you know how make a green tank as in all the rocks and glass with green algae for sulewasi shrimp. Thank you.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but wondering if anyone has an update on their results using this salt with Cardinal Sulawesi?  I have been using Salty Shrimp 7.5 and just not getting the PH I want and not having a lot of success, which I think is due to the low PH.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:25 PM, bhill66 said:

I know this is an old post, but wondering if anyone has an update on their results using this salt with Cardinal Sulawesi?  I have been using Salty Shrimp 7.5 and just not getting the PH I want and not having a lot of success, which I think is due to the low PH.

I have salty shrimps 7.5  for cardinals shrimps , they breed... i have them for years.

Salty shrimps keep ph at ~7.8 for me.