Which Shade of Blue Bolt Do You Prefer?

Which Shade of Blue Bolt Do You Prefer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Shade of Blue Bolt Do You Prefer?

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi all,

Although Blue Bolt is marketed as deeper blue as higher grade, when you look at their price, it is not really much difference. This is due to the shade of blue is subjective and different people may like different color. As such, I would like to create a poll to find out everyone's preference on the shade of blue on blue bolt.

For the picture of different shades of blue, you can see them here: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/06/which-shade-of-blue-bolt-do-you-prefer.html

Beautiful Speedie!

BTW The most recent findings I have been able to read is that by crossing BB with KK you will increase the blue depth.

Yes. I vouch for this. However, you need to use higher grade BKK that is pure blue-base (usually they have black eggs). But they are hard to get and cost 3 to 5 times more expensive.

How do you tell a blue base from extreme KK?

Look from the bottom against stronger light through the shell or body. You will be able to see the shell is nice deep blue hue. The mix type will give you brown or blackish/dirty color. Alternatively, choose from those that is less than 1 month old. They are blue color at that age.

hyoushoku,

Do you happen to have picture references for us?  I'm still confused since I've never heard of "low grade" and "high grade" BKK.  I always thought it was based on the white markings on the back when it comes to grading.  Although there were times when I received a few shrimp "Green Hulks", that were a tad different.  

Green Hulk

photo-vi.jpg

Hmmm.... How to explain this. The grade you are thinking is pattern, which are BKK, Black Extreme, Saber Tooth, Hinomaru and Mosura. This is not what I am referring to.

BKK is never a pure breed and it was breed by cross-breeding. In order for them to breed out certain pattern, they uses different shrimps, such as snow white and CBS. The problem of when they use Snow white or CBS, they end up with brown or dirty black color shell. Most of the black extreme you can obtain at reasonably price, are breed with CBS to get all black. Although they look all black, but they lost the blue hue and gain brown hue. If you use the mix breed to cross with your BB, you will get some brown color.

Below are the pictorial example.

Pure Blue BKK (In Asia, they called it "Pure Breed". See the legs and antennas are in clean blue color):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GX402M5Ej2wnpvqyHZUOHtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Mixed BKK (See the antennas that has brown color and the joint of legs has brown color):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IfOh5hDyjxhZgdwceI-EJtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Honestly, I don't see the difference in those two shrimp.  I guess it's one of those things to be best shown in person, in real life lol.  Just speaking from my limited experience, camera and lighting effects can greatly alter the look of any shrimp as well so it's very hard to distinguish what you are trying to explain from those pictures.  

Honestly, I don't see the difference in those two shrimp.  I guess it's one of those things to be best shown in person, in real life lol.  Just speaking from my limited experience, camera and lighting effects can greatly alter the look of any shrimp as well so it's very hard to distinguish what you are trying to explain from those pictures.  

Yes. Photo can't tell easily. Next time if you go to shrimp shop, just look from the bottom against the light. After you monitor awhile, you will realise what I mean.

It is fine you breed your BB with mixed BKK, just that you may get brown spot or dirty blue. If you look at those pictures in the link of my first post, the porcelain blue is breed with mixed BKK and the indigo is with pure BKK. The indigo blue shrimp in person, it looks like between indigo and violet color.

Hmmm.... How to explain this. The grade you are thinking is pattern, which are BKK, Black Extreme, Saber Tooth, Hinomaru and Mosura. This is not what I am referring to.

BKK is never a pure breed and it was breed by cross-breeding. In order for them to breed out certain pattern, they uses different shrimps, such as snow white and CBS. The problem of when they use Snow white or CBS, they end up with brown or dirty black color shell. Most of the black extreme you can obtain at reasonably price, are breed with CBS to get all black. Although they look all black, but they lost the blue hue and gain brown hue. If you use the mix breed to cross with your BB, you will get some brown color.

Below are the pictorial example.

Pure Blue BKK (In Asia, they called it "Pure Breed". See the legs and antennas are in clean blue color):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GX402M5Ej2wnpvqyHZUOHtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Mixed BKK (See the antennas that has brown color and the joint of legs has brown color):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IfOh5hDyjxhZgdwceI-EJtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

What about using Skeleton Snow White to achieve pattern(hopefully).

What about using Skeleton Snow White to achieve pattern(hopefully).

In theory it is good but provided the type of Snow White you got is a matching type, which is hard to find and/or identify.

For my case, if I am breeding the white out of blue based shrimp, I am using KK Hinomaru or KK Mosura. 

• 1 year later...

Yes. I vouch for this. However, you need to use higher grade BKK that is pure blue-base (usually they have black eggs). But they are hard to get and cost 3 to 5 times more expensive.

Would you have any idea where someone in the states could find any of these blue base BKK:)