BeeBalls

I have been using BorneoWild's Beeballs for quite sometime, and I am assuming they are doing a great job, as you can never really tell a direct impact or not. I have run across a few other similar products like Ebi-Ken Shou that are much larger in size than the BeeBalls. What are your experiences, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you all for the help.

All of the above really, I use Eheim Canister Filters so primarily the first two objectives.

Not sure you are aware. Although the Bee balls serve all purpose, they are utterly low efficient. To be effective, I will suggest you separated products.

The most effective water cleaner and is shrimp safe is Seachem Purigen. I have 1L of them in each of my 120L tank. I only recharge them every 3 to 6 months and I should be able to recharge them for many times (the longest one I used is 2 years and still using).

For the minerals, are you leaving in US? If yes, just get a small pack of Azomite (micronized powder-form). Put a tiny pinch every mid-week as respective to your water change day.

I actually have several 250ml containers of Purigen I haven't been using. I do live in the US, but I am not familiar with Azomite.

Purigen is we shrimp keepers' best friend.

There is a camp of people claimed that Purigen take away organics that suppose to chelate trace minerals. Trust me, it is not true. Why? Because I have been using Purigen for years and I am dosing a lot of trace everyday. All my shrimp tanks are on E.I. fertilizer dosing.

You can get Azomite from Amazon, Ebay or your local horticulture shop. Here is a search on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=azomite

I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Purigen is we shrimp keepers' best friend.

There is a camp of people claimed that Purigen take away organics that suppose to chelate trace minerals. Trust me, it is not true. Why? Because I have been using Purigen for years and I am dosing a lot of trace everyday. All my shrimp tanks are on E.I. fertilizer dosing.

You can get Azomite from Amazon, Ebay or your local horticulture shop. Here is a search on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=azomite

Heard about the purigen effect. Very tempted as well to add into my canister. my canister only contains normal ceramic rings at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Purigen works well if they have a lot of space for the tiny resin to float around in it's mesh bag. If you canister filter has little space for it, it will not have the effect. In the Ehiem Pro 3e I used for my Sulawesi tank, I dedicated 1 tray itself for 1L of Purigen.

My Eheim 2211s are packed with ceramic rings/balls for biological filtration, but maybe I can make some room, or try it on my Eheim 2213s.

My Eheim 2211s are packed with ceramic rings/balls for biological filtration, but maybe I can make some room, or try it on my Eheim 2213s.

Yes, you need to make sure the mesh bag is not compressed and water can flow through the 200 micron hole properly and let the resin floating up and down inside. That's the reason why some people go down the path of building a Purigen reactor but please don't go that path, which is horrible.

Oh... One more thing. 

For new pack/bottle of Purigen, you will need to wash it thoroughly and after that, soak it in water with 3 times dosage of dechlorinator overnight. After that wash it with tap water (if you municipal is using chloramine, wash it with distllled/RO or it will smell fishy) before putting into your filter.

If new Purigen is not wash properly, it will kill shrimp.

Wow, why is that? Glad you mentioned that now rather than later.

I have no idea. I know it because again, I experienced it before. :( It will leech a yellow stuffs that kill shrimp. I am suspecting it is the chemical to make or wash the resin.

Throughout my years of shrimp experiences, seems like I always hit every single danger that is around. Not sure because I am adventurous or unlucky... That's why I am devoting all my free time to help all my fellow shrimp keepers. ;)