I tried lexan as well. I replaced it with glass. I got tired for coming down the next day and seeing it bowed.

I flip mine over when I go in everyday lol. I want to get some made that it down in the top.

Did,you get the glass cut? I'm even comfortable cutting my own glass. Looking at a way to make them hinged,

OSH does cut to size for me. they only have single strength type, which is pretty thin, but I think it's ok for small shrimp tank.

for thick glass cut to size, we have couple online store does it. and ship to your door.

OSH does cut to size for me. they only have single strength type, which is pretty thin, but I think it's ok for small shrimp tank.

for thick glass cut to size, we have couple online store does it. and ship to your door.

I usually just go to lowes and get the scraps they have. They will sell them to you for $1 and cut them also. You just have to take a dremel and file the edges down but it works so far for me. Just wanted to make something with a hinged lid, love the ease of use and that it is fully sealed all the time. I made custom sliding hoods on my 90g with track from windows, I may do the same for a 10g because its cheap I had $2 in the lid. I may try it tomorrow and see if it functions well.

Here is the video I got the idea from. I am probably going to try this on a 10g tomorrow, it works well on the 90g. May just be the cheap alternative I am looking for. never thought about it before because of how small the glass cuts are. Would function the same as I need though.

http://youtu.be/N3RK80xPSDQ

One thing I'll point out, I bought my fiance one of those prefab shelves with the particle board shelves, its 48" x 24" deep... the shelves were bowing bad so I did a little DIY fix on them using fence posts :)

post-88-0-51932700-1407765026_thumb.jpg

post-88-0-37599100-1407765036_thumb.jpg

I cut them into 24" sections, first one I used a hack saw on... then realized that I had a recip saw I could use LOL... made life a ton easier

Then I just hammered the two ends flat to reduce the height difference for the wood

you guys sure you used the lexan? Plexi I know bows bad, but I know a few ppl that use lexan and the stuff is dang near indestructible

Yea I used lexan!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Wow I'm shocked. I've seen them used on 15g and smaller with no bending for years

What thickness did you use? I want to see if a thicker one is better. I'm thinking that on a regular tank there would be more support. Let me know going to Lowes in the am.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This may be a little late, but you can make simple hinges with a strip of silicon over your two pieces of glass. I use this on almost all my tanks. It works great. I can upload a pic to show you what I mean if you want.

I use twin wall polycarbonate for my lids.  You can get it custom cut from a place online, I will have to look again to see what the place is called.  It works great since it insulates the tank and the twin wall is very stiff so it doesn't bow.  It works great since my tanks are facing with the short end out so regular glass tops you buy at the store won't work.

This may be a little late, but you can make simple hinges with a strip of silicon over your two pieces of glass. I use this on almost all my tanks. It works great. I can upload a pic to show you what I mean if you want.

Yea upload a pic please, still have a few tanks left to cover.

I put painters tape about a inch apart or more on both pieces of glass and on the end where the hinge stops. Put a bead of silicone down the middle and flatten it out with a razor blade. Pull the tape off, let it dry, and that's it. It might not be the most robust hinge type to use, but I've never had issues with them. It's also nice that it doesn't block much light.

Pics below (Pardon the dust :)):

20140919_1242471_zpscf779e85.jpg

20140919_124339_zps017038c5.jpg

20140919_124520_zpsce35a31f.jpg

20140919_130759_zps90d616ca.jpg

:), It sure does. I know this from first hand experience. I tried several different kinds of tape before I learned about this method, and the tape always eventually crapped out on me.