I did a woops....

I was chatting with a neighbor and in telling her about my new adventure in shrimp, she took upon herself to "gift" me with some new buddies.                                                                                                                   :startle:

She brings me a plastic container of 6 Ghost Shrimp from her son's tank. They were all that survived his impulse buy of tank, fish/shrimp and stress coat. I haven't  done much with these guys, so I am asking for tutorials.....quick. LOL

Are they like my BV?

Are they sexed like them? 

Do they breed easily?

I luckily have a few tanks that are on the verge of cycling and I am hoping I don't kill these guys. These look to be huge next to my BV's, so I am assuming they are all adults. They seem active and healthy. I don't see eggs, but do they do that?  Any and all advice is appreciated. 

You'll be able to see their eggs clearly. They hatch in FW. Ghost shrimp are usually only aggressive when stressed. If you buy it from a local pet store and have them in your tank within 6 hours or so, they usually won't be aggressive. If you buy it from eBay and arrives in 2-3 days, chances are when you put them in your tank, you will notice a few being aggressive. They don't start being aggressive until entered in your tank. 

This was what I experienced with ghost shrimp. Results may not be the same as yours.

ok, no eggs and they seem quite settled already. They are eating kale and nibbling on moss and all bellies are green. lol  I will just leave them alone. Will the adults eat the young if/when they have any? Do they have a larvae stage or just hatch?  I can see some saddles on the 3 largest ones. And I do think there is a male in the group. But for now, I will just let them be, I guess.

Thanks for the posts. Anyone else feel free to chime in and give me advice.  :)

I have kept the type found in Florida (I don't know if there is more than one type) .  I have noticed that almost exactly at 71 degrees they become very lethargic , yet I have read they prefer cooler temps .  I have found only the opposite to be the case .

What is everyone's opinion on this ?

I believe that there are many many different species of clear dwarf shrimp in American ponds and streams which are al sold as "Ghost shrimp." That's why the info on the web might not be pertinent to the actual shrimp you have. I would use info online as a benchmark but be willing to change parameters as you see fit. Unless they are just there to be there in your neo tank, at which point they'll either adapt to your neo conditions or die.

Well, I don't trust them in my neo tank. I have them in a 2 1/2 gal alone right now. They are fairly big and they just flit around in there. I drop a pellet here and there for them and they seem happy and fine. 

Puddles,

I agree because even in my area there seems to be 2 types which are caught and listed as ghost shrimp . One is slightly bigger and more aggressive , other smaller and not as aggressive .

I find both prefer warm temps .

mine are huge and they will fight each other over a pellet or flake or whatever. The reason this woman gave them away was that they were grabbing/eating her baby guppies and her son wouldn't take care of them in a tank alone. He tried to cycle a new tank with a load of fish and these and they were the only survivors. So, no way are they going in my BV tank. 

LOL I had some of those when I still did impulse buys do not know if they are the same as yours however but the ones I had were agro as all hell.

Lunar,

You live and learn .  I realized many years ago that best not to tell people who live in the immediate area or coworkers that you like and keep pets (regardless of type) because the doorbell rings and when you look outside there is a potbelly pig tied to your porch  .

People wind up giving you animals if they move, don't want them  etc .  That is what happened to you .  She meant well because to her "shrimps are shrimps" and you keep shrimp but in your case you didn't really want them .

right, LOL    My brother is going to take them and use them in his cichlid tank....they won't last long I figure. But with their size, they will go to good use.  nom, nom nom   :stuff:

I would never have believed the aggression these guys could show as a shrimp. They brawled everytime I fed, when I did a WC, they attacked my hand. I have to wonder if they were not getting fed. That may have been why they were grabbing babies. The largest female was a shark in a shrimp shell. LOL

Lunar,

I am sure that there are several types sold or perhaps for some reason temperament varies from area to are . Poopian has/had them and she did not see aggression.

I caught some years ago in a canal and they were incredibly aggressive with each other and the swordtail fish