Dwarf Orange Crayfish

Shrimpo

I asked the same question and apparently they are o.k with shrimp.But then again I am yet to try.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

My CPO were fine with shrimp but I kept a lot of java moss and hornwort in the tank so the shrimp could escape easily.

CPO giving a ride to a Blue Rili:

CPORide_zps40403fe2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Shrimps can survive very well in a cray tank...the reason being that the cray can only crawl forward and has to jump backwards, it can't crawl backwards....whereas the shrimps can go in any direction they like, so once a shrimp thinks its in danger, it jumps over the crays head out of the reach of the claws and the cray says " where'd he go"  no dinner tonight LOL.

Crays will fight and eat their own babies, so make sure you have lots of moss in the tank so the babies can hide.  Adults will fight over territory and males over females, so be prepared to lose a few along the way.   I kept only 1 male with 2 or 3 females in a 20 long but had tons of places for them to hide with lots of plants.   Bare areas are an arena to a cray!

Its normal for a first time mamma to lose her babies, it usually takes them a few times to figure it out....Its good to have a separate breeding box for the mamma's to get peace and not be constantly harassed by males and aggressive females, or they will drop the eggs.

They will also eat the newly hatched babies unless you have moss for the babies to hide in away from her.

• 3 weeks later...

any updates on babies being born? I am going to get a couple of the cpo's this week. Im still looking for the dwarf blue ones (not shufeldti) The last one I had was a male, and found out the LFS only got

males shipped in...good way to keep you from breeding them yourself.

I'm also looking for the CPB (blue form of cpo).  Haven't found it yet.

On the flipside, I have lots of cpo babies right now, so I must be doing something right. heh  My plan is to selective breed for the orangest. 

I've also been looking for the cpo with no stripe, just solid color, but can't find that either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...