Need help set up Sulawesi Shrimp tank

Hungle64

Hi Hyoushoku,

I like the look of that tank alot. The way those moss grow between rocks is my favourite. I see the balance of Ying/Yang there.

Thank you. :)

Yes, I usually like to have a good mixture of organic and inorganic substances in my landscaping style, including designing human's house. As this is an experimental tank, it is small and easy to design. If you are going for a bigger tank (if I don't remember wrongly, you are. Bigger tank is better for Sulawesi shrimp as they handle osmotic shock badly), it will be a challenge for you. But I do look forward to see the new tank you will be creating for these wonderful shrimps. ;)

Forgot to mention two things about rabbit snails.

One is that not sure you like cute stuffs. Rabbit Snails' baby is extremely adorable: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/06/baby-rabbit-snails-photo.html

Thus if you like cute creature, they are a must to keep.

Two is that keeping rabbit snail, especially the orange rabbit, will help you to detect mineral level in water column. If the newly grew shell is taking long time to darken, they are having mineral deficiency. A healthy snail with sufficient minerals should have clean looking dark brown color with a tiny layer of white mineral covered. If precipitation is too much be it too much mineral or pH is too high, the white mineral layer will be very thick.

Thank you. :)

Yes, I usually like to have a good mixture of organic and inorganic substances in my landscaping style, including designing human's house. As this is an experimental tank, it is small and easy to design. If you are going for a bigger tank (if I don't remember wrongly, you are. Bigger tank is better for Sulawesi shrimp as they handle osmotic shock badly), it will be a challenge for you. But I do look forward to see the new tank you will be creating for these wonderful shrimps. ;)

As soon as i finished with planning and getting materials then i can go foward. I will probably doing a journal to share. I probably doing a 20 gal tank.

Forgot to mention two things about rabbit snails.

One is that not sure you like cute stuffs. Rabbit Snails' baby is extremely adorable: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/2014/06/baby-rabbit-snails-photo.html

Thus if you like cute creature, they are a must to keep.

Two is that keeping rabbit snail, especially the orange rabbit, will help you to detect mineral level in water column. If the newly grew shell is taking long time to darken, they are having mineral deficiency. A healthy snail with sufficient minerals should have clean looking dark brown color with a tiny layer of white mineral covered. If precipitation is too much be it too much mineral or pH is too high, the white mineral layer will be very thick.

Man! That is adorable snail. Yellow or Orange?

I think the elements going to be lava rocks, little moss so i can have shrimp and snal.

Thank you for the tips on using the snail to detect mineral deficiency.

that would work to, does the same thing. I went with the other just because it was white.

-Chris

I think of this mix blending in better with lava rock.

Hi Hungle,

I was curious about the substrate and Google it. On the official website said that most of the substrate grain is 2 to 10mm. Isn't it is too big and heavy for shrimp to lift up?

Huh! busy google and forget about the fact is too big. Maybe going with the other. Just don't want my shrimps always thinking of vacationing on a white sand beach. They might laying there doing nothing.LOL...LOL....

Thank you for reminding me.

have to search a little more..

Look at eco-complete of the same brand. The picture looks like the grain is smaller. http://www.caribsea.com/caribsea/itempage_freshwater_substrates_Ecocichlid.html

The only problem with it is that it has been charged with unknown liquid mix.

The Cichlid mix has smaller grain also. IDK that maybe i will like the white. I have to go LFS to see for myself.

Question: If there are two types of Taiwan Moss ? Regular and Mini ?

Hi Hungle,

I was curious about the substrate and Google it. On the official website said that most of the substrate grain is 2 to 10mm. Isn't it is too big and heavy for shrimp to lift up?

why does substrate size matter. I keep shrimp in plain gravel in some tanks. They sure don't pick up any substrate even in the small sand lol. they're shrimp not super shrimps. Doesn't matter the substrate size they do fine in either. I have used the active substrate they sell to and the mixture helps start the beneficial bacteria in the rocks, it's like any other substrate active. It's all based on what you prefer and how you want your shrimp to blend in the environment. If you like the looks of it go for it any cichlids mix is going to help buffer the Ph which is what is needed.

-Chris