My new shrimp variety opinion

Soothing Shrimp

Okay, just letting off a little frustration here.

I'm noticing a trend on facebook groups saying, "Look at my new shrimp strain I created." or something similar.  I've notice it mostly for neos. Probably because my first love is neos.

For better or worse, here's my opinion.  It's just like food- you don't have to eat it. heh

A sport (a genetic one off that doesn't breed genetic information) or a new mutation is an accident.  A happy/pretty accident, but an accident none the less.

One can do a pet name for the shrimp, but there is no "strain" to name.  There also is no proof that the color will continue on.

A strain is a group of shrimp that breed true a majority of the time.  This doesn't just happen.  It takes hard work to select and decide which shrimp to breed and cull.  It is not unusual for years of work to be involved.

Watch out for anyone who says I've created a new color or new strain, if the shrimp is one of a few or only one.  Either they are ignorant what a strain is- or are deliberately misleading.

An obvious example is if more than one type of neo are housed together in the picture.

I totally agree Soothing

It comes down to breeding selectively and having a colony of these new so called strain shrimp

I have also noticed that there might be a random color popping up from keeping a mixed batch of neos from people and then they claim they have a new strain, this is where one does selective breeding with them and build up that colony, before you can say you have invented a new collar morph