Now they are after fish collectors.

Soothing Shrimp

"In this day and age, where the ocean faces a crisis ... there's absolutely no justification for a fishery for hobby," said Mike Long of the U.S.-based Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, which is spearheading the campaign.

Yeah.  That's the same terrorists who have decide to throw acid onto ships and ram whaling boats trying to injure or kill fishermen.

Anyway, interesting article on how they are now trying to stop any wild fish selling and using any means possible to harass collectors- even though the areas collected from have had a population increase since laws went into effect.

http://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-center-battle-over-aquarium-fish-051055234.html

I can't remember where I read about someone trying to ban assassin snails because they were all over a dead human body in their habitat, well just because they call them Assassin doesn't mean they will jump out of the water and pull you down and eat you.

LMAO!!!  That's kinda extreme.  Agreed.

Found it : http://511580395457358476.weebly.com/blog/snails-kill-more-people-than-huge-creatures

Sorry if hijacked your topic, I couldn't help it.

“This is why we need tighter restrictions of importation of species into the United States” screamed the senator from Guam when she heard the news. “I will get this bill through even if the science behind it is based on the same science the global warming scientist use. I mean how long before a Anentome Helena attacks and kills a child why they are cleaning their Spongebob Fish Tank.”

LOL  The Assassin Snails was a made up article to see how far it would go. :)  http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?191531-Assassin-Snails-Are-Killers&p=1943227&viewfull=1#post1943227

Found it : http://511580395457358476.weebly.com/blog/snails-kill-more-people-than-huge-creatures

Sorry if hijacked your topic, I couldn't help it.

“This is why we need tighter restrictions of importation of species into the United States” screamed the senator from Guam when she heard the news. “I will get this bill through even if the science behind it is based on the same science the global warming scientist use. I mean how long before a Anentome Helena attacks and kills a child why they are cleaning their Spongebob Fish Tank.”

Lol these people need a life. Yea I get that removing fish from their habitat is inhumane in some cases, but if they knew how much care and love go into our tanks They would feel stupid for saying this lol. They would have better results going after people who fish to eat them lol. We try our hardest to keep them alive lol. Hardly harms them imo, we actually probably save some That would have got eaten etc.

I don't agree with this group at all, yea they stopped some whales from getting killed but their tactics are not safe and they damage, destroy people's boats. How does that make then better then the people they are trying to stop? If they did it in the U.S they would be arrested for assault, destruction of property among other charges.

• 2 weeks later...

Soothing,

Keep in mind the increase in the fish population only went up after regulations as far as collecting were put in place .  I subscribe to regulations and certain types of fish not being sold at all . If not for regulations the marine hobby would still be importing fish from areas were cyanide was used to catch them.

I lived when there was no regulations and saw areas wiped out of sea horses and other easy to catch fish .

"I lived" . I'm still alive lol .

Guys in all seriousness I did not even read the article cause when push comes to shove they will not be able to stop anything. The fish trade is a multi billion dollar industry much like but very smaller than the oil trade and they cant stop that they cant even stop the trade in rhino related products so honestly I do not think that they will succeed.

Louie, I absolutely 100% agree regulations should be put into place regarding how many to collect, what seasons to do it in, where they are allowed to be collected, etc. actually HELPS the fish not only recover, but thrive.  This makes sense to me.  In this way there is a booming population for all to enjoy in all forms.

However to have an agenda like PETA or SSCS and want to ban the ownership/collections of animals altogether is not in my interest.

Soothing ,

I agree  . PETA started out decades ago to prevent animal cruelty and better zoo conditions . Things which we all agree but than they got to the point that they are against owning pets 9even dogs/cats) and many other things I disagree with . There agenda has changed so much since they started that the initial members have all left.

Many organizations are like that.  They start off for the better, and then lose their way.

We all want to make sure aquatics exist in the wild, however we would like to keep some in our homes, as well.

Seems to me that endangered aquatics could be around for a long time to come if offered to the pet community.  In some cases, captive breeding by hobbyists have continued to ensure some animals exist that are now extinct in the wild.

It only takes a pair to create a stable line to be bred for aquarium hobbies. Maybe even 4 or 5 pairs to diversify genetics. But the over all acruall detrimental effect of natural habitats from catching wild fish breeding them and distributing them to th hobby is literally close to non existent.

are thwre people that collect to much and destroy habitats. Yea. But put regulations up to prevent that. Imagine how many species of fish have gone near extinction and then thwre population booms agai . We can help with that as well

Shrimpo,

That reminds me of Madagascar which in the last 10 years put in place strict export laws which is great except their deforestation is destroying their wild lands .

I'll hop in...

There are some instances where wild caught fish is a bit abused (look at the lakes of africa). We had Larry Johnson present at our local club and he talked about how "anti-netting" devices were installed in some of the lakes to prevent mass fishing of wild cichlids. However he does import some wild caught ones, but with anything it is all in moderation

There are some species that the only reason they are still around is the aquarium trade due to the natural habitat being destroyed