Caridina sulawesi

• 2 weeks later...

I have been breeding Caridina sulawesi for more than 2 years now. I am breeding different lines. I breed them at ph 7.5 - 7.8.

They also do well at pH 6.5 but don't reproduce as well. The black and white gets more intense at acidic pH. The two close ups are from a 40G tank (pH6.5). The other picture is from one of my breeding colonies.

I am happy to trade or sell.

post-0-0-44912300-1405458209_thumb.pngpost-0-0-19013300-1405458211_thumb.pngpost-0-0-53631300-1405458212_thumb.png

post-245-0-80774200-1405522558_thumb.png

Very sweet!  Are you just using tap water or do you start with RO and remineralize?

1. I usually mix tap water (GH = 5; KH = 2) with RO water 1:1, 2:1 or 3:1. In some tanks I use only tap water. I add some Ca and Mg.

Because C. sulawesi lives in rivers, they are not too sensitive to different water conditions. In fact, I removed some undesired individuals from my breeding colonies to move them to my aquascape tanks but forgot the shrimps in a small container behind one of my tanks. I discovered the container after 10 days with most of the water (maybe 90%) evaporated and less 1 inch of water left. The shrimps were still all alive!

2. I doubt that C. sulawesi will cross-breed with any other common shrimp species. Cai and Ng (2009, Journal of Natural History) show that C. sulawesi has distinctive (microscopic) features compared to other known shrimp species. No DNA sequences are availabe yet.

3. Here are  links to youtube videos I made:

I did not try pH 8 or higher. I suppose they would do OK at pH 8.5. I might try this out in the future.

There are many Caridina species in the rivers in Sulawesi. I guess that they also don't need alkaline water. I only know that I know of that is available in the US is the Malawa shrimp.

They have definitely a lot of potential for selective breeding. Some are yellow, orange or bluish. I am also trying to select for some of those colors. But I have not figured out the genetics, yet. It is definitely not monogenetic. Probably polygenetic with some epigenetic influences. In my yellowish colony sometimes nice black and white shrimps emerge.

The dark substrate is "Black Diamond", Freshwater Plant Substrate. I got it from "aquariumplants.com".

It is a neutral substrate, does not affect pH and also plants do very well in it.

Disclaimer: I have no links to "aquariumplants.com" or the manufacturer.

Black Diamond is a blasting sand (for sand blasting) avaialable at many Home Improvement stores (Like Tractor Supply), it is a Coal Slag base.