Ramshorn breeding project: Blue Leopards

Hellooooo all,

I've been breeding rams for.. Well forever. I selectively bred a few pest snails into my prized mini leopard golden Ramshorns. I never really shared them, but they all got wiped out when I finally learned how to keep my params in check, so lower TDS water was the death of them. Their blood still is around in a few of my remaining mini snails in one tank, but it is far less refined.

I've lost interest in them though. I want to make a blue leopard spotted ramshorn colony. And I want it bad! Heh.

So I'm starting with giant blue ramshorn stock. I bought them off a guy with an abundance of them. The blood isn't pure, and can call this generation I.

But generation I has left egg sacs everywhere, some even ON other snail shells lol. Isn't that kinda funny.

Let's talk about generation I's traits.

It is a breed of:

*Giant Ramshorns, so they grow to be two inches, which is pretty neat, although I prefer the mini versions. (I'll be separating them into two groups as I see different shell sizes, no worries)

*Clearwhite shells. The shell is what gives the snail its blue color, so this is important.

*Blue bodies they're a dark blue, which against their shells makes a pretty blue

*Red/Blue bodies they also throw this variety. It isn't totally red, but isn't blue either.

*They also rarely throw leopard spots. This is the trait I intend to infuse more of, and breed out more.

So how am I going to go about this?

The classic three pronged approach.

I will separate them into three colonies.

A large colony of pure blue bodies,

A small colony of "junk" snails, with undesirable qualities like pink bodies

A colony of mixed snails, mixed with my mini Ramshorns, so they potentially throw off a mini blue which I can focus on.

Eventually there will be four colonies, one for pure mini blues.

I'll take solid pictures tonight! Let me know if you're in support :P.

I'm thinking it has to be different. I've never had any ramshorn grow that big.

There are two different varieties of aquarium ramshorn. Large and small. I've seen and known about both.

Now I haven't personally seen any two inch snails yet, but the seller assured he had them.

I'm hoping I can make the breed smaller lol.

I've been doing research over the net for the last couple days trying to find information on this snail.  I think Planorbis corneus/rubrum may be the same thing.  It looks to me that corneus is possibly the old name and rubrum is a rename.  Like Neo heteropoda/davidii

those look no different than my ramshorn. i know that that the columbians get really big and those are illegal. these i believe are fine to ship. i get a few like that, the blue color and spots. several years a go i got some blues and pinks from a friend in germany lol. 

right now i am getting super clear shells like glass with flat black spots. the bodies are for the most part dark i have had a couple red/pink bodies show up though. i just find it super cool that the shells are so clear even when they get older.

it does take quite a bit of culling to get them breeding true though and i soooo didnt want to spend that time lol. if you make it keep it up they are pretty thats for sure

I've been doing research over the net for the last couple days trying to find information on this snail. I think Planorbis corneus/rubrum may be the same thing. It looks to me that corneus is possibly the old name and rubrum is a rename. Like Neo heteropoda/davidii

Well this is interesting -- thank you very much. I know there's a difference between these and minis. My minis are very small.

About 2mm and shell flat against the glass?  Yeah, those are mini ramshorns.  If yu want I'll look up the scientific name for ya.  They don't get any bigger than that really.

The Ramshorns on the other hand have the stand up shell and come in purdy colors. They usually don't exceed an 1" ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...