aquarium salt debate

Subtletanks91

Foe years and decades now there has been a debate on the use of aquarium salt in aquariums. On tot it has recently come up and I would like to discus the pros and cons here as well as have your experience on the subject.

aquarium salt rwplenishes electrolytes in the water, it also helps with osmoregulation wich as I understand it from the link below is when fish release some salinity into the water column, but adding aquarium salt reduces this and in turn reduces energy lost. It boosts to immune system by doing this as well. De ionized Epsom salt can be used in this way as well.

many people use it to treat stress, replenish slime coat, even treat parasites such as ich with a heat rise.

thwre are several cons though. First would be most plants can't handle salinity in the water. Secondly If you dose to much, it can cause harm but that goes with every medication and other.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/freshwater-aquarium-salt-8100/

fourth post down suns up the use of aquarium salt.

there are few fish that really need salt all the time. mollies can benefit from sale yes but things like corrys and plecos are pretty sensitive to it. also plants dont tend to like it. 

from personal use and keeping fish for well over a decade, i only use salt as a medication. and when i say med i mean like ich. i would never use it for stress. it is also good to use as a dip or bath for torn or damaged fins to help reduce bacterial infection in such cases. 

Agreed. But even when treating ich certain fish should be removed and other sensitive plants removed.moat live bearers come from south America and central. Where there is a natural salt content. Even tap water has salt in it.

unless they are wild caught most live bearers dont need salt any more. they have been breed for so long without it it can do more harm than good if kept in the tank. i know a couple major breeders of guppies that are big in the IFGA and they dont use salt unless to treat illness.

its kinda like athletes drinking gator aid. do they need more of it to replace what they sweat out? well yes. if i drank it as much as they do i would puff up like a toad and have issue due to the extra sodium i dont need.

Very true.

The main reason people use it is for osmoregulation and treating illness. It's been proven to work. As has meds.

But on a personal level, I would trust salt than chemicals. For many reasons .

wicca,

There are a few slightly brackish marsh's like an hour from me . You find mollies there and though the areas are perfect with fallen tree's and high grass for plecos your correct not a one can be found there.

Interestingly enough you do find Mayan cichlids but never other cichlids but I have never seen Mayans spawn in those waters but adults do thrive .