I am worried!

Eden5903

So I have started a 10 gal Crystal Red Shrimp tank and I have been taking out this white (and sometimes brown) stringy stuff. I showed a photo of it to a trusted employee of my LFS and he said it was coming from my Malaysian drift wood.

Is this true? Every day I see these small white balls attached to the driftwood but them it disappears. I have also had my ammonia go from perfect to 1ppm and now I have it at 0.15ppm. I am constantly cleaning my sponge filter and I have had 3-4 deaths out of 22. I used neon tetras to cycle the tank and now I am going to put them in a 40 gal.

Can you please tell me what is making this stringy stuff and why?

All comments are greatly appreciated. Have a good day![emoji2]

-Eden

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Eden5903 said:

So I have started a 10 gal Crystal Red Shrimp tank and I have been taking out this white (and sometimes brown) stringy stuff. I showed a photo of it to a trusted employee of my LFS and he said it was coming from my Malaysian drift wood.

Is this true? Every day I see these small white balls attached to the driftwood but them it disappears. I have also had my ammonia go from perfect to 1ppm and now I have it at 0.15ppm. I am constantly cleaning my sponge filter and I have had 3-4 deaths out of 22. I used neon tetras to cycle the tank and now I am going to put them in a 40 gal.

Can you please tell me what is making this stringy stuff and why?

All comments are greatly appreciated. Have a good day!emoji2.png

-Eden

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

take the driftwood out for a week or two ...see if it continues forming on other things in the tank . If not dont use the driftwood.

Newly introduced driftwood pieces can often times contain residual sugars and other compounds that promote the growth of a "white fungus" around the wood.  This fungus is unsightly but harmless.........shrimp and snails will eat it up.  The process usually takes from weeks to months for this process to run its course.........removing it from the tank would only serve to increase this timeframe.  If you do remove from tank, I would keep submerged in a bucket to keep this leeching process in motion.

Newly introduced driftwood pieces can often times contain residual sugars and other compounds that promote the growth of a "white fungus" around the wood.  This fungus is unsightly but harmless.........shrimp and snails will eat it up.  The process usually takes from weeks to months for this process to run its course.........removing it from the tank would only serve to increase this timeframe.  If you do remove from tank, I would keep submerged in a bucket to keep this leeching process in motion.

Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my Badass Phone #GalaxyS7FoLyfe