Fishless Cycle for Shrimp tank

JLui83

I have posted in the Journal section just for my own sake so I can keep track of things. Figured I'd ask a few question on this side of the forum for some advice.

Started a 10 gal tank for neocaridina shrimp.

Substrate: Fluval Stratum

10 Gal generic tank

40 gal air pump

40 gal Sponge Filter

50 or 100 W heater.. I forget which

4 Marimo Balls

Subwassertang tied to a small sponge filter

Tank Parameters are

PH: Around 6.5

Ammonia currently sitting at around 3ppm (Added Pure Ammonia to get to 3ppm)

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = Around 20-30ppm

I just added some Tetrasafe yesterday to help speed things up. Hopefully this will help. 

If not should I just leave the tank and just wait for the ammonia to start droping? 

Here's the link to my journal for reference.

3 hours ago, JLui83 said:

I'm using tap water. My tap has a ph of around 7.6..... the fluval stratum substrate buffers it down to around 6.5 or so.

any idea what your kh is of your tap water (today)

thats more important than the ph

Edited by bostoneric

No idea what my kh is.

OMG- I have thought absolutely that. Gotta run to the store to get some if I do.

To be honest,  never tested kh or go or tds. I used to have fish and shrimp about 10 years ago. I had crystal red shrimp that bred and thrived. Also had red cherry shrimp that bred and thrived too. None to which I tested kh, th, or tds. That's not to say things have change and people have better knowledge on shrimp keeping and "ideal" parameters....

I did another test today.

looks like my ammonia went down to about 1ppm or so. This damn color card is hard to tell sometimes. There's definetly still green in there.

nitrities = 0

nitrates seem to have gone up. It's such a dark orange color almost red. I would say it's more at the 40ppm range.

im thinking of doing a water change and then giving the tank a little bit of ammonia and test again to see if the ammonia went down. Or should I just leave it since there is already around 1ppm of ammonia?

keep in mind I did add bio spira in the beginning, and then also a bottle of tetra safestart. I wonder if that's the reason why I have yet to see any Nitrite readings????

Just now, OMG Aquatics said:

Just leave it. Pretty sure high nitrates(180ppm+) doesn't affect cycle.

That's kind of what I figured too. I'll do the big water change 24-48hrs before I get the shrimp. Even with the added baking soda, my ph came back down to around 6.4. I'll probably just end up going the CRS route instead of the Neos. The substrate is going to keep the ph down, and I'm not going to change out substrate now.

Just an update:

Just did a test today

April 3, 2017

PH: Around 6.6

Ammonia: 0 !!!!

Nitrites: Around .25ppm

Nitrates: Around 40-80ppm its RED!

Looks like the cycle is going!

Just added 1ml of ammonia. Based on the calculator this will give me 1ppm to my tank.... Hopefully the ammonia will drop to zero tomorrow morning when i test again and Nitrite will be .25ppm or less again!

Thanks!! so exciting!

20170403_100528.jpg