Venus Fly Trap

ctaylor3737

I have raised them from seeds and very easy .

I place the seed or seeds (they can grow side by side) in a clay pot that sits on one of those little pot "dishes" . I use cheap spahgnum moss mixed 50/50 with Zoo-med eco-earth which I have since I keep snakes.

Put the seed about 1/2 inch under the mixture but don't press it in the mixture , just cover the seed but keep it loose .

Keep the pot out of the sun in the yard till I see it sprouting than I put it in indirect sun and that's it.

I keep it damp but not wet but you have make sure that it stays damp until the flytrap is few inches long . At that point very hardy .

I keep mine in the gazebo all year long .  I had several which I gave away and kept two that were very pretty but after months for some reason they died .

Perhaps the sun since it is summer was to much for them but they do grow great in heat but sun is another thing all together.

I ordered more seeds of the red hybrids .  Will use same method but in bright area but no sun .

I did feed mealworms now and than. Initially as the plant was smaller I only feed the soft white mealworms after they shed.

I found them inefficient as insect catchers thus didn't feed often while the pitcher plants are very efficient to the point of killing baby geckos . They grew nicely on Cuban treefrog tadpoles which I would net from the pond and put in them .

Thanks for,the,tips. I have some coming. I'll have to look out the red hybrids. I'll have to figure,out how to get them inside and to go dormant. Its 0- or worse during the winter.

-Chris

Have either one of you ever seen the rat eating pitcher plants?

I saw it online when I ordered my red venus plants and rather interesting .

I'd post a pic but I don't know unless I take the pic from my own gallery .

I found the pitcher plants to be highly efficient at eating small geckos so would never get them again. Imagine the rat eating

pitcher plants might take bats .

• 1 month later...

Wow, you guys keep VFT's too. I have a huge pot full of them. They stay outside year round. I feed them the random insect I find, but otherwise they take care of themselves. I Just keep them super wet in the summer. Lots of RO water in the summer, about 1/4 water during the winter. I keep them in peat moss and sand mixture.

Scott

Venus fly traps are fascinating. I've been growing them since I was a kid. Usually unsuccessfully.

Now I have it down. I keep these four types in a jar filled with peat,sand and perlite mixture. They grow well for me in indirect sunlight and ro water. I usually mist them once a day and thats it. Here are the ones I keep together.

Dente Flytrap

Sarracenia Purpurea

Scarlet Belle

Drosera Spatulata

post-89-0-24046800-1408298264_thumb.jpg

Wow, you guys keep VFT's too. I have a huge pot full of them. They stay outside year round. I feed them the random insect I find, but otherwise they take care of themselves. I Just keep them super wet in the summer. Lots of RO water in the summer, about 1/4 water during the winter. I keep them in peat moss and sand mixture.

Scott

Send me some! I've been having seeds in a few pots still no luck

Taylor,

The seeds take some time to get going .  Can take 12 weeks .

I planted some like 3 weeks ago and nothing yet but I recall last time it took awhile.

mayphly,

I just planted pitcher plants from seeds . Do they take as long as VFT ?

Your jar has no draining holes?

poormanisme,

Do you keep them out of direct sunlight ?   I had a thriving bunch which died but have read that some keep inn sunlight , some don't.

Mine took about 2-3 weeks to germinate and 3 years to get to where they are today. I used about 2 inches of clay balls on the bottom for drainage. But I think one inch is good enough. On top of that I placed a bit of mesh to keep my soil from falling through. On top of the mesh I have 2 inches of my carnivorous soil mixture. Then I topped that off with one more thin layer of just sphagnum. I keep mine on a windowsil which faces west and receives indirect sunlight throughout most the day. When starting the seeds I kept the jar covered with saran wrap and mist daily and water once a week sparingly with ro. No drain holes needed. I just noticed my spatulata is growing two inches below the surface. Crazy carnivorous plants!

Hey Chris,

If your interested in these spatulatas I can send you a couple. Just cover the shipping.

They look realy cool growing around the vft's. They are tiny.

post-89-0-96207800-1408305743_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-37781300-1408305847_thumb.jpg

Taylor,

The seeds take some time to get going .  Can take 12 weeks .

I planted some like 3 weeks ago and nothing yet but I recall last time it took awhile.

mayphly,

I just planted pitcher plants from seeds . Do they take as long as VFT ?

Your jar has no draining holes?

poormanisme,

Do you keep them out of direct sunlight ?   I had a thriving bunch which died but have read that some keep inn sunlight , some don't.

The more sun the better, just make sure they have a deep container because their roots go straight down so they can get water. In full sun my traps usually all turn red, pretty awesome. But I'm in Virginia so not far from where they originate. I'm sure they are used to the weather and sun and such since its so close to where they live in the wild.

Scott

maypfly,

Thanks they certainly are nice looking . I cant wait (hope) my seeds take . I had larger green types before not this type. I did not want anything large this time but more so with color.

poormanisme,

I planted two different small pots with them , sun all year long is no problem here .  I am going to put one in sun once they sprout and get going .Thanks

maypfly,

Thanks they certainly are nice looking . I cant wait (hope) my seeds take . I had larger green types before not this type. I did not want anything large this time but more so with color.

poormanisme,

I planted two different small pots with them , sun all year long is no problem here .  I am going to put one in sun once they sprout and get going .Thanks

just make sure you keep it super wet in full sun. You should put a dish under your plant with water in it so it can take water in from the bottom if in full sun and not a large pot. Something like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Xymox/DSCN1441.jpg

some sundews and pitcher plants. All grown in large plastic pots with only 1 hole about 5 inches down. Grown outdoors in North Carolina. I cut the dead growth back each spring before new growth starts. Water with rain water from rain barrel.

post-271-0-55179900-1408319861_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-10958800-1408319883_thumb.jpg

Mine took about 2-3 weeks to germinate and 3 years to get to where they are today. I used about 2 inches of clay balls on the bottom for drainage. But I think one inch is good enough. On top of that I placed a bit of mesh to keep my soil from falling through. On top of the mesh I have 2 inches of my carnivorous soil mixture. Then I topped that off with one more thin layer of just sphagnum. I keep mine on a windowsil which faces west and receives indirect sunlight throughout most the day. When starting the seeds I kept the jar covered with saran wrap and mist daily and water once a week sparingly with ro. No drain holes needed. I just noticed my spatulata is growing two inches below the surface. Crazy carnivorous plants!

Hey Chris,

If your interested in these spatulatas I can send you a couple. Just cover the shipping.

They look realy cool growing around the vft's. They are tiny.

That would be great have looked at those to! Message me with shipping costs and well go for it. Do you have any venus seeds? Be nice to get them from a fresh reliable source.

Colorfan.

Hard to see in the pic but you use regular potting soil?

Poormanisme,

I'll take a pic this week in what I planted my new sundew plants in .

use 1/2 peat and 1/2 sand. Those pots have been planted 4 years now. I only pull out weeds and divide all the plants in the spring. Once they are planted and they are in a good spot. Not much care at all. 

They die once it gets cold. I leave them and in spring I trim back all the dead growth. they are usually already sprouting all new. My pitchers, sundews and my flytraps all come back twice as big as year before. No mulching needed. I think they might sustain off their dead growth in the winter. Pretty harsh winter last year and everything came back great. I am even pretty sure the pots froze. They have standing water 3/4 up the pot.