Mixing DI/RO water with tap

I'll admit this I hate math, never paid much attention to it in school. However now I want to know if I'm correct in using it (probably not haha).

So if I have a tap of 300 TDS. used 5 gal of DI/RO at 0 TDS and 5 gal of my tap water.

That would technically give me a 150 TDS mixture correct?

-Duffy

I'd pull out my TDS pen. ;) While I *think* that TDS should scale linearly, and thus what you say should work, I'd do a test each time until you get what you want. TDS pen makes it easy.

Also, tap water changes sometimes, so it'd be good to check so you don't end up with 400 or 150 TDS tapwater and dilute it the same.

You will love your pen. It's so easy, instant gratification. And, if you're like me, you'll go around testing all the water around you for a few days...

Already tested my tap and 2 tanks. Now I'm going to work and will e testing the tanks there haha.

So apparently my tap has a TDS of 50

And my shrimp tank has a TDS of 148

-Duffy

Edited by Duff0712

Yes tds will change throughout the year in city water. Mine goes from 20-36tds. Tds pens are cheap so always nice to have a couple on hand to double check everything