10g shrimp tank

arron.poh

I have been away from shrimp keeping for 2 years and I'm saddened at how much has changed. Im from Singapore and the shrimp keeping scene here used to crazy back when i first started in 2013. There were tons of shrimp fanatics and many local fish shops that were specialized in shrimps. Any product you see on the internet be it japanese or Taiwanese or German were sold at these shops. We even had many pintos back in 2013 when pintos werent the craze. However getting back into this hobby after a 2 year hiatus was quite depressing because I realised that many hobbyists either gave up or moved on and shops have closed due to the lack of demand. I decided to come to this forum as its very much alive and active unlike the forums in Singapore that is now mostly used as a market place to sell second hand equipment. Anyways, back to my tank set-up. I purchased powerhouse soil as it was recommend to me and i must say i was very impressed with how clean it is. The tank was clear in about 5mins after filling it to the brim. For equipment wise, im running 2 eheim 2213 which have been lying ard my hse and theyre connected to an undergravel filter. Im also running a chiller has it is hot and sunny in singapore and the ambient temperature is about 30°C.

Tank was set up on the 6th of may 2017 and is currently cycling. Ammonia levels are sky high.

Products im using now are borneowild bio-film, benibachi super bio bee max and totto photosynthetic bacteria. In between the soil i have used RAC humic acid and old sea mud powder. Hoping for the tank to cycle quickly so i can begin adding shrimps! Haven't decided what shrimps to keep but so far im leaning towards wine reds as they've always been a favourite of mine!!

3c6dda6ae242ce90e32c8e8ac6ab90f8.jpgac827a4af0e1564f74ba01659534502f.jpg8d69dbe72f0e6a74de3bb729d9ca5346.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Welcome arron.poh! We are glad to have you and thank you for sharing your experiences. I look forward to the progress of this aquarium. We are hoping to continue increasing demand and spreading the word of shrimp keeping and breeding within the US.

So i was inspired to start keeping shrimps again because exactly a week ago i watched DETAquariums new video titled "shrimp update". Made me realised how much i miss keeping them and also how much things have evolved since 4 years ago. Will update here on what shrimps are gonna be placed in my tank. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A shot of my nanacy. Was planning on a strict wine red tank but decided to buy a few red zebra pinto and a nanacy pair. This tank gonna be all things red and white. Will see what the off springs will be like, from there will start culling and decide what direction i wanna head towardsd782c0d41a6fa8f4441d0fa2d1e4d491.jpg

• 1 year later...