Two-weeks old Goldfish fry with cherry shrimps

Hi everyone!  

I am new to using forums so please excuse me if I am still ignorant of how to post a question. Tomorrow is the greatly awaited day!  I will buy a couple of cherry shrimps to put in my fluval chi 6 gallons with 11 two weeks-old goldfish fry...  I have read that fry and shrimps get along really fine and i have other tanks to home the grown-up fry ( in many weeks though haha!) when they might present a danger for the cherries. Is there someone that can give me counsels about shrimps and fry?  there is little information on the net hahah! Thanks in advance!  

they'll be fine with the adult shrimp until the goldies are a couple months old, but once their mouth and appetite are big enough the shrimp are doomed. the baby shrimp will definitely get eaten by baby goldies. in the past i've actually used my goldfish tanks as shrimp cull tanks and let the goldies eat them... (i think that's too mean now, but the point is theyll eat them) even 1-2 inch goldfish will eat shrimp, they like to peck at anything that moves. the goldies will also out grow the 6 gallon super quick, they have one of the highest bioloads in the fishkeeping world

13 hours ago, NotKelly said:

they'll be fine with the adult shrimp until the goldies are a couple months old, but once their mouth and appetite are big enough the shrimp are doomed. the baby shrimp will definitely get eaten by baby goldies. in the past i've actually used my goldfish tanks as shrimp cull tanks and let the goldies eat them... (i think that's too mean now, but the point is theyll eat them) even 1-2 inch goldfish will eat shrimp, they like to peck at anything that moves. the goldies will also out grow the 6 gallon super quick, they have one of the highest bioloads in the fishkeeping world... 

Thanks for the informations! :) How many months from now do you think that the goldies will be kind with shrimps?  Just to have an idea....I might need another tank by then since my other tanks have full grown goldies haha...

Hi everyone!  

I am new to using forums so please excuse me if I am still ignorant of how to post a question. Tomorrow is the greatly awaited day!  I will buy a couple of cherry shrimps to put in my fluval chi 6 gallons with 11 two weeks-old goldfish fry...  I have read that fry and shrimps get along really fine and i have other tanks to home the grown-up fry ( in many weeks though haha!) when they might present a danger for the cherries. Is there someone that can give me counsels about shrimps and fry?  there is little information on the net hahah! Thanks in advance!  

Honestly dont mind me saying, those 2 should not be place together. Goldfish will eat the shrimps.. Same rules that goes for any fish or shrimp that can fit in its mouth..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Lily Kart said:

Thanks for the informations! :) How many months from now do you think that the goldies will be kind with shrimps?  Just to have an idea....I might need another tank by then since my other tanks have full grown goldies haha...

i would start cycling a tank, i wouldn't expect them to be friendly for very long at all

As Not Kelly said the bioload (lots of poo) of goldfish is high so I would be concerned about nitrates/ammonia levels being high enough to kill off shrimp on top of the stress of shipping or just new environment.  Please get a NO2,NO3 test kit if you don't have one as you may have to do a partial water change.  Not trying to scare you but I have learned the hard way ($$) that shrimp are more delicate then other aquatic critters but are worth the extra effort.  My Grandkids and I watch the shrimp and look for different color shades as a game.   I too have used goldfish in the past to cycle a new tank. ,,,,Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,  I have been really busy the last few days. Since my goldfish fry have grown reaaaaaaaally fast I have caught them all and put them in a cycled 10 gallons I had. I didnot expect to grow so fast. They are almost a month old and most of them are 1 inch long if not more. It seems that I have the hand with baby goldies :).  Anyways,  I now have 5 cherry shrimps, some Malaysian trumpets, and 4 pinnochio shrimps. Honestly, the red nosed pinnochio shrimps are so damn entertaining...and to my surprise,  one of them is pregnant. I heard that their fry require saltwater while the pregnant female might get sick and or die if put in saltwater so....I honestly dont know what to do. I also read that 'Darwin' red nose shrimps which are identical to thw original red nosed pinnochio shrimps,  can breed in freshwater.  IF someone has counsels to share with me, I definitely would appreciate!!  

I have bred ranchu goldfish and a 10 gallon is too small for them. Goldfish have a high bioload, can you get a 40 gallon breeder? Or get some large food safe tubs to use as growing ponds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a few Glowlight Danio fry in my first shrimp tank  It was all OK while the fry were still larval and up until they got their orange body stripe at about 4 weeks of age, I rapidly moved them out when noticing that they were quite handy at snacking down Cyclops and Ostracods, I figured the baby shrimp would be next.

• 2 years later...