Sand for a small colony

LunarValkyrie

Hey folks! It's been a while since I posted anything. But I keep reading that I can use pool sand for a couple of the species of shrimp I want to start up....so my question is....

Can I use regular aquarium sand???  I want some Black Rose neo's and I know some shrimp prefer a darker substrate to look their best. Pool sand is all white, so will it wash them out? I was thinking of maybe using Deep Blue sand so they would pop and yet maybe feel like they have a dark background. My tanks are all painted on the back with a nice deep blue color and it looks like nice with live plants on the blue sand. 

Thanks for any advice. 

I know most breeders and importers ibe seen keep them on pool filter sand so there must not be a great deal of color washing. I actually set up a tank with pool filter for some black rose that will be here in a couple weeks!

congratz! I hope to do the same except with blue sand. I set up a tank today with filter media from another tank and live plants with some lava rock. I am waiting on remineralizer to come in. I used Distilled water. I hope to get it going quick. 

What is a great snail? I used Trumpet snails last time I was doing this and they will probly find their way into this tank to sift sand, but I would like to get some that I can see and to keep up the bio load going. So what do you use??

Pool filter sand is really just used because it is super cheap if you're setting up a ton of tanks. I've used normal black aquarium sand with black neo's and it worked fine. Substrate doesn't really matter, people even do bare bottoms. Go for it!

I use the mystery snails i get at the lfs. As well as one or two assassins in case of pests. I actually use a platy or two to build up the bio load for a month or so then put them back in the community lol.

Archived