My first attempt with Sulawesi shrimps (C. dennerli)

noblex

Hello everyone,

After long time being only a marine reefkeeper, I switched back to freshwater aquariums.

I setted up a tank without knowing really what to do with it and now I got mesmerized by this Sulawesi biotope I was not aware.
Anyway...

What I have

• An already started tank (approx 2-3 months) of approx 10G (raw). It measures 32x32x45h cm. I use 100% RO water with salts. Hardscape is made by some simple ADA dragon stones.
  • Tech: external filer Hydor Prime 10 (with bioball and a bag of Purigen), 1x Chihiros A301 Plus (30W dimmed 8000K led light) + 1x Chihiros RGB301 (25W dimmed RGB led light), CO2 system (I'm aware I will have to remove this..)
  • Soil is ADA Amazon (I know it does not fit the Sulawesi style, but as I said before I was not planning a Sulawesi at the beginning). The substrate height ranges from 3cm to 12cm (I like DSB).
  • Several plants: mainly Pogostemon erectus, Hygrophyla polisperma, Spike moss, Christmass moss...

What I would like to do

• Adjust the current setup in order to make it compatible with the Sulawesi animals, keeping as much as possibile of the plants alive (I don't like acquariums without plants)
  • Get a starter of Caridina dennerli and a couple of Tylomelania sp. (I am not a huge fan of snails.. But i read that they are the best team mate for the shrimps)

I red some literature about Sulawesi and I was planning to:

• Remove the CO2. Plants growth will slow down, but it's not a problem as long they survive
  • Without CO2 I will have to reduce the light, dimming both lamps to their minimum or even keeping just one of them
  • Adding a power head in order to keep water oxygenated (remind the tank is 45cm height)
  • Adding a bag of crushed corals or sepia bone in the filter
  • All this in order to reach chem water of about pH 7.5, kH and gH 6-7, and temp around 26 (winter) to 32 (summer) °C

My doubts:

What do you think? What other actions could

Which salts and supplements should I use?

How many specimen should I get?

Should I get a dosing pump for trace elements or could I just add them in RO water before water changes?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Quite old picture of the just setted up tank, this should show the hardscape

20170809_221749.jpg.ca60a0b67fd925f6d391a7533287d91c.jpg

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, noblex said:

My doubts:

What do you think? What other actions could  Exhaust your ada soil first

Which salts and supplements should I use?  Salty Shrimp or Sl Aqua

How many specimen should I get? 10-20

Should I get a dosing pump for trace elements or could I just add them in RO water before water changes? I dunno I dont dose anything for my plants.

Hi chappy, thanks for the answer.

To exhayst the soil (at least the upper cm) could it be a good choice to dose high amount of salts for some weeks? (of course no animals in this period)

About the dosing pump, I was thinking about oligoelements for the shrimps themselves, more than for the plants

yes, exhausting the soil can be done by increasing the ph by dosing large amounts of Kh.  However it may be easier/cheaper/faster to just replace the substrate.

if you buy a specific shrimp salt then it should contain everything the shrimp needs.  If you still want to add oligoelements for the shrimps then I would do so sparingly and not use a dosing pump.  Keeping things simple and Consistent are the key to keeping sheimp happy and health.  wobbling parameters is a sure way to kill the colony.

4 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

yes, exhausting the soil can be done by increasing the ph by dosing large amounts of Kh.  However it may be easier/cheaper/faster to just replace the substrate.

if you buy a specific shrimp salt then it should contain everything the shrimp needs.  If you still want to add oligoelements for the shrimps then I would do so sparingly and not use a dosing pump.  Keeping things simple and Consistent are the key to keeping sheimp happy and health.  wobbling parameters is a sure way to kill the colony.

Ok, thanks, almost everything clear, I also didn't get the difference between Salty Shrimps 7.5 and 8.5. Is 7.5 based on calcium bicarbonate and 8.5 on less soluble calcium carbonate? Which one should I get?

I think I won't replace the soil (even if this would be easier) for a couple of factors:

• Saturating the first cm of the soil will be enough to just don't have and acid pump under my shrimp, imho, while keeping an acidic level going deeper, being an advantage for plants
  • Bacteria colonization would restart from 0, which is something I don't like.

If you're planning on just keeping Caridina dennerli, I'd say go with Salty Shrimp 7.5. 

8.5 is quite a pain to dissolve without CO2, but it's great for if you want to keep the more finicky Sulawesi breeds.

I've got a tank ready to go too, but can't find anyone selling Caridina dennerlis if you find someone, please let me know. :D:D

Salty Shrimp 7.5 & 8.5 are geared towards specific lakes that these shrimp come from.  If you shrimp are wild caught then get the one that most closely mimics the ph of the waters they come from.  if they are bred then get the one that is closest to the ph they were raised in.  Keeping in mind that your ada soil will try to lower these.

3 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

Salty Shrimp 7.5 & 8.5 are geared towards specific lakes that these shrimp come from.  If you shrimp are wild caught then get the one that most closely mimics the ph of the waters they come from.  if they are bred then get the one that is closest to the ph they were raised in.  Keeping in mind that your ada soil will try to lower these.

Ok good advice! I will ask

3 hours ago, Shrimpsicle said:

If you're planning on just keeping Caridina dennerli, I'd say go with Salty Shrimp 7.5. 

8.5 is quite a pain to dissolve without CO2, but it's great for if you want to keep the more finicky Sulawesi breeds.

I've got a tank ready to go too, but can't find anyone selling Caridina dennerlis if you find someone, please let me know. :D:D

I am italian and I'll have to go buy them in Germany!!

I would definitely avoid the guessing game of trying to mix your own specific water parameters and just buy an already made remineralizer. One of the first shrimp mistakes I learned from. Good luck! sulawesi shrimp are so cute :)

Fine, thanks for your advice. I will continue dosing the reminalizer (I am using a Red Sea Reef Fundation ABC I already had while waiting for the Salty Shrimp mix. It may sound awkard but basically is the same stuff, except it is not balanced for the Sulawesi. Of course I will switch to Salty Shrimps a lot before actually inserting any animal).

What could I get along with the shrimps? I just read the Sulawesi snails are all not plant-safe, it's a shame, because they were cute.

1 hour ago, noblex said:

Any species? Or just affinis? I had them in a tank with red cherry, will there be still 0 predation (I care for baby shrimps) also with sulawsi?

the only time an oto will eat a baby is it if accidentally lands on it with an open mouth, they don't purposely go after them. I have 3 in my fire red breeding tank and they don't really eat any.

Archived