Please I need advise on buying a large aquarium

Hi, my wife wants me to sell my 20 gallon tank and wants me to buy a 125 or 6 foot long tank!. It sounds great a 125 is much more impressive than a 20 H , 2 foot long tank, then I thought of the upkeep -water changes , plant trimming, ect.  What do you guys think and what beside shrimp would you put in there? My thoughs are black eco-complete with root tabs for my main ground cover pearlweed with nice bunch plants on each side like R. roundifolia ect. some driftwood with seigusi stones around it , 50 cardinal , 20 rummynose tetras, 20 emperor tetras , cories, bristlenose plecos, what do you think and some hearty red shrimp of course !

I just sold my big tank this year (240g) Vpier is right about them being more stable and forgiving. The only thing I will say is make sure you get the size that you can clean I wouldn't get a deep tank from front to back and don't get a tall tank it doesn't sound hard to clean but they are. my tank was  72Lx30Wx25T and im 6'3 it was not fun to try and clean it and I ran two FX6s. make sure you get the best filter you can so you don't have dead spots it was the best tank I ever had till it was cleaning day.

What shamedic says is spot on.  I dont like a tank that I cant reach the  back & the substrate with my hand (cleaning purposes)  My hardest problem to solve was getting rid of dead spots without using a bunch of power heads.  Go with a filter that is for a much larger aquarium than you have.

ya even with two FX6s each rated for 925g each I had dead spots take your time and buy the best filter you can even if you have to save for a bit or if you have the room build a sump. pulling canister filters was a pain when they are the size of a 5g bucket full of water

• 5 months later...

I definitely can second not going to big, I can just reach the back corners of my 135g without standing on anything but I’m only 5’10” so that will vary. I’m a big fan of sumps if your stand can fit it, less and easier maintenance.